SuperCrew

Truck Storage

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 03:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Truck Storage

Hi, I have had my 1997 F-150 in storage for five years while stationed in Okinawa Japan. It has been in a climate controlled environment the whole time but locked in a storage container and not started.
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has been in a simular situation and what they migh have down that got this beast back on the road fairly easily. I am worried about everything from the fuel system to the tires. If anyone has some good pointers out there I would sure like to hear from you. The truck only has about 8000 miles on it so I want to take care of it right. Thanks a bunch. Mike

Old 07-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When I store my motorcyce for 3 mos in winter

I make sure to get a FULL tank of gas, shut off the fuel to the carbs ( diff there ) and run it until it dies, so I know the carbs are empty.
Change the oil in it. and take the batt out, for the water check and trikle charger on / off for the 3 months.
My snow blower, change the oil, drain the gas tank, and run it until it dies ( no batt, and I leave it bone dry of fuel ).
Both of these are carb engines, not EFI, but with that said...

Did you leave the batt in it ?
I would have been concered with leakage. Take out the batt, and check that nothing got acid on it. Most likley a new batt is in order.
Is there fuel in it ?
Kiss that goodbye, I would say after 5 years climate control or not it is laquer at the botom of the tank. Also the fuel filter might look like glue, and I have no idea what the fuel rails and injectors look like. I would expect at least dropping the tank draining it, and checking it with a bore scope. Also a new fuel filter at a min.
As for engine oil, I would change it ASAP, not a scientific reason, I just am strange that way with oild oil that sat in an engine, so take that with a grain of salt.
Trans fluid and filter, change it.
Pop for a new goodyear gaterback belt ( that is still serpintine belt I think ?? ), another 100.00 but it is better to be safe then stuck on the die of the road if it lets loose.
Tires..your call, I would replace them. It might be another costly item at ~ 100.00 per but I am real cautious about tires. They are what keep the greasy side down when on your are on ramps. A spare sites under the truck for atleast 5 years and still holds air fine, I just would be not in the mood to use it day in day out.
Coolant I would not be concerned about. Just test it to see if it still gives protection.
Check this around, but I put a bit of Marvel Mistery oil in the spak plug hold, and run it up and down a few times ( this would be turn the crank over in a truck after hitting all 8 ) before I store it, and a tad more the same way before the season starts. Just to coat the wall. I do not do this on my motorcycle.
That is my 2 cents on this topic...mash it together with what you get other wise.

Quick Reply: Truck Storage