SuperCrew

5th Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th Wheel Question

I have a 2001 f-150 SuperCrew with the short bed.
Buying a different truck is not an option.

I have a 1984 19ft. Jayco 5th Wheel Camper
Buying a different camper is not an option.

The funds are not there, and we really don't want to give up camping.

We don't travel far, mostly less than 150 miles, and usually 2-lane or smaller roads. So no long distance interstate drives. And only 2-3 times a year.

I have a hitch, it is not a slider though, I am wondering if the 10" kingpin extension will give me the needed clearance for the camper to safely turn?

We use it, but not enough to justify a huge expense to keep using it( I.e. no new truck or camper) It would be different if we were retired or able to use it more often in the summer.

With the limited use and distance here in Southern Illinois with places within an hour or two that we enjoy camping I think the truck will handle it just fine.

My main issue is cab clearance and finding out if the extension will be enough.

Thank you for any input.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith Brimberry
I have a 2001 f-150 SuperCrew with the short bed.
Buying a different truck is not an option.

I have a 1984 19ft. Jayco 5th Wheel Camper
Buying a different camper is not an option.

The funds are not there, and we really don't want to give up camping.

We don't travel far, mostly less than 150 miles, and usually 2-lane or smaller roads. So no long distance interstate drives. And only 2-3 times a year.

I have a hitch, it is not a slider though, I am wondering if the 10" kingpin extension will give me the needed clearance for the camper to safely turn?

We use it, but not enough to justify a huge expense to keep using it( I.e. no new truck or camper) It would be different if we were retired or able to use it more often in the summer.

With the limited use and distance here in Southern Illinois with places within an hour or two that we enjoy camping I think the truck will handle it just fine.

My main issue is cab clearance and finding out if the extension will be enough.

Thank you for any input.
Hi & Welcome.

Ask a Mod to move this to the Towing forum perhaps - more & better advice that way.

You are likely over one or more of your truck's limits. Cab clearance would be my least concern here.

Not much info to go on - truck trim level, mods ( larger wheels, etc) engine size, gear ratio, 2wd/4wd, trailer weights ( did you go over a Cat scale in the configuration and loading you will be using and get ACTUAL weights - SWAG is NOT a good ideas to base decisions upon), expected truck loading ( people/cargo, etc), expected terrain ( e.g grades) .... all of this will help folks give you a better sense of what is acceptable / safe.

Lots of folks tow over limits every day - most of them have even managed to avoid a catastrophic failure and/or accident - so far. It's your family & your decision. But note that you DO share the road with others.

In general - a 1/2 ton is not a good 5ver tow beast. Especially a loaded Screw ( heaviest config, with the least payload to start with ).

And no - I'm not the Weight Police - I just prefer to err on the side of prudence, mixed in with an overabundance of caution

Good luck & Stay Safe, sir!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-11-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not going to rehash the weight issue MGD covered that pretty good. However what pin extension are you talking about. I am guessing you have a 5.5ft box Superglide by Pullrite http://www.pullrite.com/products/sup...uper-glide-12k has a 12k hitch that is designed for what you want. We have a used one in stock PM me if your interested and i will get you in contact with my parts manager to get you pricing on it. In the meantime get some measurements, measure center of the hitch to the rear window and center of the hitch to the cab corners. Now use those to measure from the pin to the trailer to see where the trailer will hit the truck. yep it will hit. the 12k Superglide has about 22in of travel and many trailers will still hit. Another option is the Sidewinder or Revolution pin boxes for the trailer as they don't move the weight around. http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-...500-SW19K.html http://www.etrailer.com/question-40098.html

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Question