SuperCrew

Trailer Brake Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Brake Wiring

Need some help...
Have 01 Screw - with trailer Pkg from the factory...
1st time I'm goona tow a regular trailer. I only have a 4-pin thing in the back for lights...There is a wire/socket thing under the dash - near the computer plug....but I need a round 7-plug thing for the back - are the wires/plug up in the frame somewhere or do I have to wire the whole thing to add the brake thing (prodigy). Next, seems to have a extra leaf on the springs - one that isn't really touching the others - will that be enough for 800# tongue weight or do I need bags or leaf helper? I have a draw tite hidden hitch - says Max trailer 5000/tongue 500 - THEN says with equalizer 8000/800.?? I am getting a equalizeer and sway thing hitch with the trailer - does that mean my hitch is good - or do I need a more stout hitch?
I know this is a lot...but hopefully you guys that tow can help me out.
It's a 19' toy hauler -4900#s dry - so proably 6000 full. I have the 5.4 and only be going up over a 4000' grade - about 150 miles and back most of the time. What else do I need? Thanks!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
ok first you'll have to go buy the adapter that goes in the plug under the dash next to the computer plug to use trailer brakes. i got mine at tractor supply. its a simple plug and play. i hooked mine up in about 2 min. as for as the 7 pin not real sure but i think that the car parts stores sell the kits to put it on your truck. i tow an tandom axle trailer and a med sized tractor. i bought the 1500# helper springs, the short ones, my truck dont squat anymore when loaded also it lifted the rearend up 1.5 or 2in when its not loaded.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 AM
You've probably solved the problem by now, but if not:

For the wiring part, I added a 7-pin from etrailer.com. they sell easy plug and play ones that hook up in about 2 mins right where your 4-pin is (left frame rail next to the spare on an 03, so probably similar/same)

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Wiring