SuperCrew

Aluminum Drive Shafts - The're Back in SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2000, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Aluminum Drive Shafts - The're Back in SCrew

Just looked at a 4x2 SuperCrew Lariat 5.4l w/tow package and it has an aluminum drive shaft about 6" in diameter. Guess we can start a new survey as to who has them in this body style.

------------------
Mine: FOR SALE SOON...1997 F150,XLT,SC,Oxford white/maroon 60/40 cloth,4x4 ORP,4.6L,3.55LS,17" ORP wheels w/GY AT/S LT265/70/17,auto,6 CD,Towing package,alarm,Rhino grill guard w/PICCA lights,dual exhaust. Bought new June '96

Wife: '99Explorer Limited,pearl white/tan leather,4.0L,4:10LS,CD,sunroof,towing pkg.,alarm.

Next: 2001 F150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4,3:55LS,tow pkg. etc.......

[This message has been edited by Dewayne Fuller (edited 02-22-2000).]

Old 02-20-2000, 10:25 PM
Cool

My 4X4 SuperCrew has a steel driveshaft and is around 4" in diameter. What is the advantage or disadvantage of the Al. shaft? If it is 2" bigger I don't see where it would save any weight.

------------------
2001 F-150 SuperCrew, Harvest Gold Clearcoat Metallic, 4x4 Lariat, 5.4L, 3.55 L/S, Skid plates, Sliding Rear Window, Tailer Towing package. Can't wait for the Mods to begin- K&N, Flowmaster, SuperChip, Nerf Bars.

Old 02-21-2000, 12:13 AM
Well I saw a SuperCrew 4x4 this weekend. It had a steel drive shaft.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 02-21-2000, 02:19 PM
Talking

GOLD!!!-- Geesh.....for having a new Supercrew you are awfully quiet!! Seriously, what's the verdict now that one is sitting in your driveway???
BTW- what was your delivery time??? or off the lot?

Lariat super on order

------------------
97' F150, blk, cap, 285's/python's

97 Expo'

Old 02-21-2000, 05:10 PM
Cool

F150Supercrew,
Well my old screen name was BlueSuperCrew, but I had to change it after I bought a Gold SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat. Had ordered a Blue 4x2 Lariat on Dec. 17th and had no Vin # or date. Dealer had ordered an identical truck, with the exception of moonroof in Oct. Had a Vin # for this one but no date or info. Dealer called me today and said two trucks showed up, a 4x2 XLT and 4x4 Lariat. Went to check out the Lariat and brought the wife with me. After test drive she said buy it because I was driving her crazy waiting for my truck to arrive. These are very nice trucks and are going to sell faster than hot cakes. Drives very nice, and I am very impressed. I was at the dealers 3 hours after truck dropped them off and there was a swarm of people around the trucks like flies on sh**!! Supposed to pickup on Thursday the 17th. Well report back when dust settles! Well the dust hasn't settled yet but I,m loving this truck. Had Westin Step Bars put on today. Used ones meant for 97 and up Expedition. They are 5-6 inches shorter than what will be put on SuperCrew when Westin gets an application out there. But they look good and are functional( Wife and kids can now get into truck easier). Also having front windows tinted to match back windows tomorrow. I didn't want to say to much, because some people are pi**ed off about the wait for their SuperCrews.

[This message has been edited by GoldSuperCrew (edited 02-21-2000).]

Old 02-21-2000, 10:10 PM
Talking

BLUE...uh GOLD!!!

Thanks for the info...I should have put your past post's with the new name!!
Glad everything worked out for you. I just got back from looking at the only S-Crew in Northern Virginia. You're right...they do draw a crowd. Didn't really like this one as much as thwe green lariat I have on order. And of course they want about grand more than my ordered price for a loaded Lariat from another dealer!!! (of course they'll get the 33,600+ for the truck. Thanks agin.
BTW- Been searching for a roll top or a flush tonneau...good luck since the front of the bed is about 5 inches wider than the rear!! (Now I feel the pain of current Flareside owners!! Can't imagine a roll top, whatever brand working.

------------------

97 Expo'

Old 02-22-2000, 01:34 AM
F150SuperCrew,

Just curious if I understood right. The "interior" of the bed is 5" narrower at the rear than the front? If so, what were they thinking? I could understand the exterior being streamlined as a styling que, and to accomodate the new rear tail lamps, but narrowing the interior doesn't seem wise when your already chopping a foot out of the bed. Regardless, that fact would not have influenced my desire for this truck. Does, however, influence my intent on putting a cap on it though.

Also, feel alot better about those 17" rims after having seen the photo on fseries.com. Thanks for the lead.

[This message has been edited by USAF K9 (edited 02-22-2000).]

Old 02-22-2000, 08:09 AM
F150SUPERCREW:

Which dealer in Northern Virginia has one? Id love to drive up and look at it. Mine is on order at the local dealer (he has none!) and scheduled for build on 3/06.

Old 02-22-2000, 10:40 AM
USAF K9,
I noticed the bed change as well. The tail gate looks to be from a stepside bed, that is, it is not the full width of the bed as in a styleside. The width at the tail gate is about the width between the wheel wells (4 ft?). Guess this is because they wrapped the tail lights around the rear similar to the flareside.

------------------
Mine: FOR SALE SOON...1997 F150,XLT,SC,Oxford white/maroon 60/40 cloth,4x4 ORP,4.6L,3.55LS,17" ORP wheels w/GY AT/S LT265/70/17,auto,6 CD,Towing package,alarm,Rhino grill guard w/PICCA lights,dual exhaust. Bought new June '96

Wife: '99Explorer Limited,pearl white/tan leather,4.0L,4:10LS,CD,sunroof,towing pkg.,alarm.

Next: 2001 F150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4,3:55LS,tow pkg. etc.......

Old 02-22-2000, 03:23 PM
F150SUPERCREW:

Please ignore previous msg. My local dealer called today. He now has two in stock! I went up to look at them. Red Lariat 4X4 and Chestnut XLT 2WD. Both look really sharp. Was very pleased with interior room as well as rest of vehicle. Can hardly wait for mine.

------------------
On Order - 01' SuperCrew Lariat, Deep Wedgewood CC, Two tone/Harvest Gold, 5.4L, 3.55LS.

Old 02-22-2000, 09:54 PM
First-
USAF- Iwas also a little surprised that the bed was in a Trapezoid layout. Walking up to it the bed really does look fine visually. That's why I was amazed when I put a tape measure across the front and rear to see the difference in width. Unfortunately I kind of fell for the Specialty Cover and the tech said it should happen but they are going to have to do some nifty spacer fabrication. Think about it, about a 5 inch drop over a 5 1/2 ft. bed. *******'s will have a top in 4 weeks, will cover 98 % of OEM bed rail)

Virginian- I saw the XLT at Ted britt. (torredor (sp?) red) Loaded. Curious did the XLT you saw have the beige interior?? I thought the seat design/color was really loud and a little odd looking. What did ya think of the LLariat??

------------------

97 Expo'

Old 02-23-2000, 07:53 AM
F150SUPERCREW:

The XLT is Chestnut with Harvest Gold two-tone on bottom. The interior is cloth 60/40 bench in Parchment (tan). I though it looked excellent for interior. The Lariat is a loaded 4x4. It was bright red with two-tone Harvest gold on bottom. Interior is Parchment leather with Captains chairs. Both had cab steps (which by the way look a lot nicer than I expected) sliding rear window, remote keyless entry, limited slip, 5.4, etc.
Both were really nice trucks.

------------------
On Order - 01' SuperCrew Lariat, Deep Wedgewood CC, Two tone/Harvest Gold, 5.4L, 3.55LS.

Old 02-25-2000, 02:10 AM
Hey Gold,
Did the Westin bars bolt right up or did they have to drill any holes? How far from the back edge of the rear door do they stop? Do you have any way of posting some pics?
Thanks,
cabframer
e-mail cabframer@yahoo.com

Old 02-25-2000, 03:13 PM
Cool

Hey Cabframer,
The Westin bars did not bolt up directly, had to drill a hole about 4-5" forward of the factory hole. It used both holes in the front mount and only one hole at the back mounts. The correct application will probably be 4-5" longer than the bars I have. I spoke with Westin and they are working on an application at this time and should be available in 6-8 weeks. I don't have any way to post pictures, sorry.

------------------
2001 F-150 SuperCrew, Harvest Gold Clearcoat Metallic, 4x4 Lariat, 5.4L, 3.55 L/S, Skid plates, Sliding Rear Window, Tailer Towing package, Westin Step Bars,Tinted Windows, K&N Air Filter. Future Mods- Flowmaster Muffler, SuperChip.

Old 02-27-2000, 04:48 PM
Thanks for info goldsupercrew. Are you happy with Westin's quality? I'm new to the nerf bars, but from what I've seen they look like good bars. Anybody else out there have a preference on nerf bars? My local aftermarket dealer was pushing "ICI", I know that there are a ton of manufactures with good parts but this is my first 4x4. I think I waited until the right time to get into one though, I really like this truck. I think they do measure up to all the hype. A friend of mine also tells me that J.C. Whitney sells bug shields that are factory color matched, I'm checking on this.
Thanks for any info!

Quick Reply: Aluminum Drive Shafts - The're Back in SCrew