SuperCrew

Stock 4x4 okay to have fun in the dirt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock 4x4 okay to have fun in the dirt?

Hey everyone,

I got a quick question. Right now my truck is all stock suspension and tire wise. Its a 4x4 so naturally it sits higher. Would it be ok if I took my truck off roading? Obviously I wont be doing any stuff like trails, mud or anything. I'm just gonna have fun in the dirt. I just wanna make sure everything will be fine and I wont "hurt" it at all right now. I'm running Goodyear Wrangler HP 265/70/17

• K&N drop in filter
  • Camshafts
  • Line-X Bedliner
  • Truxedo Bed Cover

More than that, but thats all my uncle told me.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:42 AM
It's a truck. What do you think you're going to hurt on dirt? You can take a car on dirt and nothing is going to happen to it.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Tear it up! Nothing to hurt as long as you're not trying to do donuts in 4x4. As long as you have the clearance underneath and a buddy to help in case you play in a mud hole too deep, you have nothing to worry about. Learn your trucks tolerances and you'll be fine...

Old 05-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Just remember...in real offroading, slow and steady is the way to go. Flying around to the point that your tires are coming off the ground can really screw up any truck no matter how 'built' it is.

As long as you keep it slow, you'll be fine. Just watch for branches...I found out the hard way, my truck is A LOT wider than my old Jeep lol.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:48 AM
TNC
Just ease into it. You'll enjoy it, but watch out man, because soon enough you're gonna want to mod it for better performance. Say bye to the bucks.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Okay sweet guys thanks. I'll be taking her along with a friend to a place up in Santiago Canyon to have some fun. I'm not gonng even really need to engage 4x4 because the place we go isn't that bad.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by |SoCal|Screw
Okay sweet guys thanks. I'll be taking her along with a friend to a place up in Santiago Canyon to have some fun. I'm not gonng even really need to engage 4x4 because the place we go isn't that bad.
Where at in Santiago canyon? Would that be Silverado Canyon or Trabuco Canyon? I assume you will be going to the top of Saddleback mountain or Santiago peak.

If you go to Santiago peak there are a few climbs that you may want to do but you will need 4x4.

I live in Silverado canyon and I can point you to where you would like to go.

Have fun!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by canyonslicker
Where at in Santiago canyon? Would that be Silverado Canyon or Trabuco Canyon? I assume you will be going to the top of Saddleback mountain or Santiago peak.

If you go to Santiago peak there are a few climbs that you may want to do but you will need 4x4.

I live in Silverado canyon and I can point you to where you would like to go.

Have fun!!!!
Well its the canyon like if you drive all the way up El Toro Rd. Then you run straight into the canyon. I'm gonna goto a place thats called Holy Jims trial. Been there before but haven't gone through the whole thing.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Well its the canyon like if you drive all the way up El Toro Rd. Then you run straight into the canyon. I'm gonna goto a place thats called Holy Jims trial. Been there before but haven't gone through the whole thing.
That's Trabuco Canyon by O'Neill park. Holy Jim is back by the end of the road. The road used to lead up to the top of Saddleback but a rockslide took it out about 8 years ago. They never cleared it. Some great muddin' after a good rain.

You won't need 4x4 but you can crawl thru the creekbed in places. I trout fish out there and I engage 4 wheel drive just to excersize it. Use it or lose it.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by canyonslicker
That's Trabuco Canyon by O'Neill park. Holy Jim is back by the end of the road. The road used to lead up to the top of Saddleback but a rockslide took it out about 8 years ago. They never cleared it. Some great muddin' after a good rain.

You won't need 4x4 but you can crawl thru the creekbed in places. I trout fish out there and I engage 4 wheel drive just to excersize it. Use it or lose it.
Yeah exactly. I'll be heading up there with a friend and his Tacoma with some friends to have some fun. And yeah I heard there is great mudding after a nice rain. And how long is the trail? I've never been through the whole thing.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Ok I took her out today to Holy Jim trail up in the canyon.

I must say she did freaking awesome. We were bouncing all over but she handled it like a piece of cake. I was kind of scared I was going to bust something from all the bumps and stuff, but never once hit the bottom of the truck. Got it pretty dirty, but came home and cleaned it right up.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 PM
stock is fine i play w/my 02 supercrew lariat in the dirt all the time!! i am ichin for a lift and 35 though!!lol

Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by wookie13
stock is fine i play w/my 02 supercrew lariat in the dirt all the time!! i am ichin for a lift and 35 though!!lol

Yeah no kiddin. I wanna get a RCD lift and new tires/wheels soon, but I really don't need the extra stress of spending that much money on top of my truck payments/insurance and gas.

I'm a 17 year old student still in high school.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey everyone,

I got a quick question. Right now my truck is all stock suspension and tire wise. Its a 4x4 so naturally it sits higher. Would it be ok if I took my truck off roading? Obviously I wont be doing any stuff like trails, mud or anything. I'm just gonna have fun in the dirt. I just wanna make sure everything will be fine and I wont "hurt" it at all right now. I'm running Goodyear Wrangler HP 265/70/17
You don't know what your truck can do until you get it stuck.

Go slow. Offroad fast does not win, unless it's the Baja 500. Most people make the mistakes in mud and water where they don't know how deep it is, or what's under the surface. Your tires are the best for offroad, but aren't bad. If it's just dirt, rip it up, pretty much nothing will hurt you.

If you don't get offroad much, consider some Bridgestone Dueler Revo's next time you need tires. Great highway performance and better than average offroad. To get more, you need real offroad tires and will have to give up something on the freeway.

Quick Reply: Stock 4x4 okay to have fun in the dirt?