SuperCrew

Picked Up My New "Baby"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked Up My New "Baby"

'07 XLT 4X4, 5.4 liter, Dark Blue Pearl, tow package, 3.73 LSD, premium mirror package, fogs, blah blah blah. Damn do I love this thing! I sat in the backseat for about 15 minutes and just looked around and touched stuff. The absolute cheapest piece of interior plastic pretty much feels like the nicest parts of my '04 Ram interior. I haven't let it rev over 3500rpm yet, but it feels similar to the Ram with the hemi...I'm sure it will run out of breath and not pull in the upper rpm's like the hemi though, but we'll see. The transmission feels great. If you're light on the gas it just glides along and upshifts early, and if you're in the gas a bit it holds the gear nicely.

It drives like a Lincoln compared to the Ram, and I like being able to see my hood again instead of just windshield wipers. Stereo is nothing great, but it's just the base single CD player with 4 speakers (6X8's in each door IIRC). I should be able to hardwire my XM to the CD changer/Sat/aux input on the rear like I had in the Ram, but instead of a switch for the much less used MP3 player, I should be able to just plug the patch cable from the player to the jack and then just put them away when not in use.

Complaints? Well the floor between the middle seat section and the bottom of the dash is sloped upwards towards the dash pretty steeply, so my clutter catcher thingie won't sit flat. Also the turn signal/wiper stalk is too close to the steering wheel, but I'll get used to that. Probably the biggest thing, one which I may have to do something about soon, is the lack of anything for the left foot to rest on. The Ram didn't have a proper "dead pedal" but it had a slightly raised bump in the floor there to support your foot at a slightly upward angle and gave you some leverage to brace yourself with. This reminds me of my old Vics and Grand Marq, where it's just flat and my foot is uncomfortable at that angle, making my ankle kind of sore and my whole left leg just feel like it's just floating there. There's plenty of room there between the brake pedal and parking brake pedal so I should be able to rig something up there, secured to the floor.

I already removed the dealership stickers off the tailgate and their license plate frame. They also have their name on the plastic hitch cover but I'll leave that on there until I pick something decent up. I'm not making the mistake I did with my Ram by not getting mudflaps and a hood bug shield right away. They don't stop everything or create any magic force field, but they help a little in preventing chips. The tires on the Ram stuck out a bit past the bottom of the rocker panels and the rockers and leading edges of the wheel openings took on a sandblasted look after just a year or so. If I can get 10 years of of the truck without painting it rather than 8 years, they will have paid for themselves.

Anyhow here are all the pictures I could stand to get wet for. I'll get some better ones when the weather finally clears and the wife is back with her new camera. The little white streaks and ***** you see are sleet bouncing around

Old 04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Suspended
Grats on the new Ford! I'm sure you'll love it. they sure are nice trucks, been well over a year and it still puts a grin on my face every time I drive mine

Old 04-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Looks nice and clean. Congrats.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Looks great man! have fun & get in & out fast, gotta love hat new car smell

Old 04-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Very nice...I agree with you though...where the heck is the dang dead pedal. I miss the one I had in my tacoma. I've even thought about retrofitting something somehow.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Congrats on your new truck...these things are addictive...be careful...before you know it, you'll spend a fortune modding it...enjoy...

Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I love that truck...

Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Very nice truck!! get a couple of little beanbags to stick underneath the back end of your clutter-box, they stay in place really well..

Old 04-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Sweet truck.. Like the color.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Nice truck. Congrats on the purchase.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Very nice truck - I'm sure it will give you years of pleasure.

Time now to think about mods

Kenny

Old 04-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Same exact truck as mine! Int & Ext, Love that color! I took delivery on mine with a bedliner & the Molded Splash Guards which seem to do a decent job. I added a Chrome Mini- Bug shield, a tonneau, & chrome Mirror accents, just ordered a polished Billet Grille.........warning: This stuff is addicting!!! Good Luck!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I've had multiple trucks before ('89 GMC Z71 ex. cab, '99GMC Z71 ext cab, '02 F-150 FX4 supercab, '04 Ram quad cab hemi 4X4) so I know the whole "money hole" aspect of truck ownership!

All I want for now are a decent set of mud guards and hood deflector. I waited too long to get them on other trucks and the paint always paid the price. Those and a bed extender are my first priority, as well as the proper PIE adapter to run my XM radio to the stock HU port. I also am currently bidding on a few Mustang footrest/dead pedals to incorporate into the floor. The flat space there is driving me nuts!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the new ride it looks awsoum; I drive a lowly 04; it's badassthough

Old 04-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Very nice

Congrats on the new truck. I sure do miss that new truck smell.

Quick Reply: Picked Up My New "Baby"