SuperCrew

New shocks for 02 S-Crew.. model numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New shocks for 02 S-Crew.. model numbers?

I posted this in the Aftermarket Suspension forum, but wanted to get some info/advice for my S-Crew bretheren.

02 S-Crew FX4. Currently have the OE "Rancho" shocks. Thinking hard about going with Bilsteins this time around. I'm looking for the model numbers for the front and back shocks that I'd need. I did a forum search but wasn't able to find the info I needed.

I'm looking for shocks that'll give me a smooth comfy ride. All my miles are highway/in town driving.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Old 02-09-2007, 07:29 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Bilstiens are a little stiff, but are a great shock. I'd choose the Edlebrock IAS or the (real) Rancho RS9000x to adjust to your preference. All three are great choices, but the Bilstien's are the stiffest. I had the previous Rancho RS9000's on my last truck and loved them. The OEM Ranco FX4 shocks stuck.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:11 PM
APT,

Thanks for the reply. I've not considered the Ranchos. Is the performance of the Rancho 9000's different from the Rancho RSX? I'm not sure that I'd ever adjust the dampening on the 9000's.
And from what I read on their website, the 5000 series would be too light for my truck.

Anyone else with experience with new shocks?

Thanks again for the help.

Daryl

Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 AM
APT
Even if you never adjust the RS9000X between say towing and not towing ,or heavy payload vs. emtpy, you can adjust it once for the everyday ride you like instead of the MFR deciding how stiff you want to ride. RSX is also a good shock, more similar to the Bilstiens.

If you can wait a couple months, Rancho usually has a spring promo for buy 3 get 1 free in April. That's how I got my RS9000's several years ago.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Do you have to go to the Rancho website for the discount? Where did you get yours?

That sounds like a great deal on the Ranchos. And you make great sense about buying an adjustable shock.

Thanks again.
DC

Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 AM
APT
I order them from Summit Racing. The better deals have been from Sam's Off Road and one other online 4x4 parts place. I don't know if they'll offer it again, but it was every spring for a few years, but I stopped following it the last couple years.

I really doubt you'd be disappointed with Bilstiens, Edlebrock IAS, or Rancho RS9000X and they all cost about the same $65-75ea. I haven't read any complaints about any of them.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Rancho 9000s

I have a 2002 FX4 Supercrew since new and love my Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. I had them put on at about 45k miles (69k now) along with new 32" BFG AT tires (which I also love). They were a huge improvement over the stock shocks and I think Rancho made a mistake allowing their name on the standard FX4 shocks. World of difference. As you mentioned I just set them to the middle setting and have never changed them. BTW, I chose both the BFG AT and RS9000 shocks after having the same brands on a Jeep Cj-7. I have no experience with the other brands mentioned just that I've been happy with my choice.

As others have mentioned, I picked up the RS9000s on a buy 3 get 1 free which usually happens right around this time of year as others have mentioned. Can't remember where, but someone mentioned Sams Offroad or something and that sounds familar.

Last edited by mtracey512; 02-28-2007 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: New shocks for 02 S-Crew.. model numbers?