SuperCrew

Finally: Pics of my sub box and back bench

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Finally: Pics of my sub box and back bench

Well ive told people before in other threads that i was going to take pictures. And i slacked off and never got my A$$ out there to take pictures. I read in a magazine recently that if you plan to make a custom stereo box. So for now, the box is just cardboard. So forgive me on that. But the point of the pictures is showing the second 40% bench, and also the size and shape of the box im going to build eventually. I will keep ya'll posted once the box is made and upholsted.

Oh and i plan on stuffing two 12's in there with aproxemetly 1.5 cubic feet mounting space per sub.
Ill post the measurement here if anyone cares...
Lataz,
-Patrick

Last edited by Patman; 11-08-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great idea.... post pics as you go.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Dang thats a great idea. Do both seats still fold down like before or no. Thats an amazing idea. Congrats and it looks good. Keep us updated.

Brian

Old 11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Global Moderator &

yea seats still fold down as were normally, unfortunatly i was unable to move the folding lever off of the drivers side seat to the outside. so its kinda a pain to fold it up and down, but it does look good. And as far as instalation, all of the holes lined up except one, which all i had to do was cut a small section of carpet out, and then drill and tap.
I took some more pictures today to show how i flipped the front support so it would be less drilling and things would line up better
And thanks, im trying to hold off on my two tires so i can spend my money on my system. And of course i will keep the pics coming.
-Patrick

Old 11-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Global Moderator &

And Now for the pics

first is floor passenger side back corner of truck

Second passenger seat (the stock position) showing the front support

Third is drivers side with front support flipped over

Old 11-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Other half of upload

Fourth is floor driver side showing support and how the handle is on inside

Fifth is box upright to show how its gonna flow over the floor

Enjoy,
-Patrick

Old 11-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Thumbs up

Nice idea!! I went and bought an MTX enclosure that fits under the 60 bench and while it looks great and you'd never know it was there, you cant fold the seat down much past half, which kinda sucks. You might be onto something there with that idea of removing the 60 bench and swapping in a 40 with the sub box in the middle. What are you doing with the top of the box? It would make a nice place for some built-in cupholders and a maybe a small rectangular indent on to place stuff.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Global Moderator &

well right now the cardboard mock up makes a nice place to put all my stuff in the mean time. Hadnt really considered a rectagle indention like you suggested, i am kinda against putting cupholders which lead to spills over my electronic equipment. I wonder if i could take some random peice off of one of those new 04 flow thru consoles that would already be covered with the vinyl. hmm im gonna have to look into that.

Any suggestions on if it would be worth the effort to apolster it in vinyl instead of generic gray carpet?

And if someone can help clear things up, when they have a suggested mounting depth for a sub, is that the volume box it should be put into? or is it how much volume should be left over in the box after sub is installed?

Thanks for the comments and compliments so far they are appreciated.
-Patrick

Old 11-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Global Moderator &

whats the best way to seal the box? just use cualk? wood glue? anyone out there?
-Patrick

Old 11-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
whats the best way to seal the box? just use cualk? wood glue? anyone out there?
-Patrick

Ones that I have seen screwed the box together and then used caulk, btu I dont see why a liberal amount of wood glue wont work either. Then again, I'm not exactly an expert in the field of automotve acoustics either...

Old 11-14-2005, 09:51 AM
I have made a few systems for friends and my old Ranger, and I would really suggest Liquid Nail. Liguid Nail the edges of the boards where the screws go and then screw it down, then go on the inside and liquid nail all the imperfections in the box (small gaps or and bad spots in the wood) That has always been the way to go. I tried wood glue once and it wasnt that great (granted the wood glue i used was cheap).

Recessing a flat spot in there to place stuff is a great idea. I wouldnt do the cup holders either because you have 2 already in the center console for the back seat and its too close to the electronics. Keep it up man. One of a kind!

Brian

Old 11-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Global Moderator &

apreciate all comments so far

actually the cup holders on the bottom of front console would not be able to be used. and the more i think about it im thinkin i dont want to put a recession, its just going to be more work. and thanks for the tip on the glue.
-Patrick

Old 11-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Patman, that is a really good idea for the box build.

What have you decided to make the box out of? MDF or fiberglass? Use LIQUID NAILS. Works great and provides a good seal after the box is built.

I built a small box for one 12" Pioneer under the bench and it worked out pretty well. Getting the individual seats and building the box in between is a great idea. Where did you get the seats from? I might have to rethink my set up.

Keep us updated...

Old 11-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Global Moderator &

I bought one of the 40% seats from a totaled screw owner. The other one is Stock/OEM.

Im going with MDF for my building materials. I still havent been able to build it or by my subs yet, ran into a need for brake work all the sudden so its holding things up.

Well i can put up more pics when ive got them.
-Patrick

Old 12-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Patman... Any new changes in the box build? I have been digging around for a 40% seat and was just checking in with you to find out how your build was coming.

Q

Quick Reply: Finally: Pics of my sub box and back bench