SuperCrew

paint/orange peel issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry paint/orange peel issue

Im in the need for some feedback. Just bought 2004 screw fx4 in true blue . there is a lot of orange peel on the truck especially on the sides of the bed i have called ford customer relations to find out where i could email some pics to but they refer me back to the dealer. i used to work in a body shop so i dont think im crazy but being the new owner mybe im biased. has anyone had the same problem with the paint or is it just the way fords paint jobs are. pics in my gallery
thanks all https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=5019[/URL]

Last edited by poolguy; 11-29-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Poolguy,

The first time I waxed the truck, I noticed the same thing. I thought it to look more like a hammer finish, but maybe orange peel is a better term.

I've looked at others, and it seems that that is the way Ford does their darker colors. I don't know if it's intentional, but as noticable as it is, I would guess that it is. I kind of like it, but it is odd because my Taurus is smooth as silk.

What I don't like is the ease of how the paint will chip. It doesn't take much to do so, and I found a spot where the paint is already starting to peal on the top edge of the rear driver's side door. I have hit it with the touch up that came with the truck, but am keeping a very close eye on it.

I hope that helps.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
are the sides of the box on the new 2004 made of fibreglass like the 2003 screws? i have never noticed. i know my 2003 has a bit of orange peel on the box but i'm sure that's due to the nature of the material underneath it which is fibreglass.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:47 PM
I had that same problem with my 2003, which is also true blue. My dealer wet sanded mine right after I got it, and I was a little leary about the wet sanding, but the dealer took his time at it (he had it for over a week), and it turned out beatuiful.

I assume that the clear coat is what is causing the orange peel since the wet sanding took it out of mine.

For some reason it must just appear more in the true blue color because there is a 2003 Explorer at my work (true blue) that also has the orange peel look to it.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Talking

I have a 2001 F-150 Screw 4X4 GEN III Lariat in Dark Highland Green. Bought the truck last year with 26,000 miles on it and the original warranty which ran out Oct. 2004. When I detailed the truck, I noticed under the clear coat what might be described as some sort of orange peal, actually it looked like zillions of tiny cuts in the paint. Wrote to Ford, they referred me to my dealer and in five minutes the dealership authorized a free paint job at a custom paint shop. It took almost four weeks but I got a great new paint job, had it two toned, and had all of the dents taken out but one. The reason the one was not taken out was because it was on the bed and Ford would not pay to paint the bed panels - they recommend a new bed for $1100. (my cost) - so I kept my single dent. The only down side is no truck for 4 weeks!

Hope you get a new paint job - good luck!

Semper Fi

Old 12-04-2004, 12:02 PM
ALLLLLL new vehicles come from the factory with orange peel. All of them.

Quick Reply: paint/orange peel issue