SuperCrew

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 02:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange noise

I've had my truck for a week now and have noticed an odd noise coming from the dash. It sounds like a fan running behind the gauge cluster.
I can hear it while the truck is running and also when just the accessory is switched on (truck NOT running). And this is with the heater/AC completely turned off. Thought it might be the CD player spinning so I removed the CD and that wasn't it either.
Also, I can hear it whether the truck is warmed up or cool after sitting all night so it can't be the cooling fans.
I've owned alot of Fords over the years and have never encountered this noise.
It's probably nothing major but it's driving me nuts not knowing what is running!
Anyone notice this? Any idea what it is?
TIA
Rick

Old 10-24-2004, 11:16 AM
No expert here, but I was told by one of the Ford "Guru's" that even with the fan-AC-heat off, there is a fan slowing running that circulates air over the windshield to keep it clear. Maybe there is some obstruction in there, like a pine needle or leaf, that is hitting the blades? I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone here will point it out!

Old 10-24-2004, 08:07 PM
I guess that could be true. It would explain the fan noise. But I swear it sounds like it's on the drivers side of the dash.
But it doesn't sound like anything is touching the blade. It's pretty smooth running. Odd that it would run with the key turned to just accessory though.
Thanks for the reply!
Rick

Old 10-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Does it happen when the radio is off? I have a noise that sounds the same. I took it to the dealer and had the radio replaced but the noise is still there. I think it is a cooling fan for the in-dash CD player. On my truck the noise goes away a few seconds after the radio is shut off. I have learned to live with it.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:26 AM
Does it happen when the radio is off? I have a noise that sounds the same. I took it to the dealer and had the radio replaced but the noise is still there. I think it is a cooling fan for the in-dash CD player. On my truck the noise goes away a few seconds after the radio is shut off. I have learned to live with it.
Hmmmm, I'm not sure. I'll have to listen tomorrow with the radio off. A cooling fan would make sense. I haven't heard of one for a radio but I guess ya never know.
Otherwise I'm going to tear the whole dash out and see what it is! J/K
Rick

Old 10-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Once you hear the noise try turning off your radio, the noise in mine shuts off a few seconds later. That's why I think it is a fan in the radio. The noise does not always start as soon as you turn the radio on. There must be a temperature sensor in the radio that starts the fan once it gets warm. Good luck, I am learning to live with mine!

Quick Reply: Strange noise