SuperCrew

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Questions

Guys I am sorry for asking questions that I am sure has been asked and answered many times before. I tried searching for threads on these and have found some but I cannot seem to understand a lot of terms being used.

Situation: I just recently purchased a 02' SuperCrew Lariat 4.6L V8. I understand that V8's consume a lot of gas. So I was thinking of a couple of modifications that will help increase MPG's at the same time increase truck performance. I will not be towing anything. I will occasionally load some camping, cycling and diving equipment in the back. I will not be racing, but would be nice if I could have the potential to keep pace with racers.

I plan to upgrade intake. Upgrade to electric fans. Get a chip or a programmer. Get headers. And upgrade exhaust.

After the above upgrades, I want to get a 3 to 5" body lift and slap on 35 or 37" tires (if they will fit). Then get re-geared.

With the above modifications in mind, I will have to start somewhere. I was thinking of starting with the exhaust. I like the look of the Gibson Super Truck. But I think performance is my priority followed by appearance. Third priority will be 'loudness' of the system. I don't want anything obscenely loud. I just want something 'macho'. Is Gibson Super Truck a good choice? What others can you guys recommend that looks like the Gibson ST? What are pros and cons of each choice? I also plan to get headers for my turck. Any recommendations? Pros and Cons?

Next will be Air Intake. Seems to me AirForce 1 is a popular choice. Pros and Cons? What about Volant (CAI version)? K&N?

Electric Fans: Was thinking of purchasing the ones from Troyer. Are these good?

Chip/Programmer: What is the difference of both (performance and versatility wise)? Which one is the best for my desired outcome?

I think Troyer offers a package that has the above modifications. Is this a good option? Or should I go with buying each modification seperately?

Body Lift: What brand/company can you guys recommend? Pros and cons.

Thanks for all the advise in advance. I would appreciate if you guys could have the patience and explain the above in laymen terms (newbie terms).

Sorry for the many questions. I just want to understand the whole set up I am thinking of so that I can plan the transformation of my truck properly with the end result in mind.

Thanks again.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:00 PM
bump for you, I'm new to the F-150 side of things too and wouldnt mind an informative newbie thread to reference.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:13 PM
me three

Old 10-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Yes the big one is hungry for fuel. Just enjoy doing the mods because its your truck. If your doing the mods for fuel results your going to have to spend a LOT of do ray me. Most of the people on this site will tell you the same thing.

Enjoy

Old 10-30-2004, 01:46 PM
yup....like he said, do it cuz its ur truck. In all seriousness, the way i look at it, if ur looking for serious mpgs, you really won't make any $$ back (in fact, ull prolly lose a bunch). i do stuff to mine just cuz i enjoy doing. i get a kick outta turning heads and dropping jaws. so hopefully saving $ on gas isnt ur biggest concern, cuz ull just end up spending even more money. its like my fiancee comin home with $500 of clothes and saying she saved $75 by applying for a card. "no ya didnt sweetheart, u just spent $500 and gave a stranger your # and address..."

Old 10-30-2004, 03:59 PM
When you add lift kit, big tires, chip, etc. They are only going to HURT your mpg.

As everyone else said. Do the mod's cause you want to and you want your truck, "YOUR WAY".

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions