SuperCrew

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes

Anyone have any problems with semi-metallic brake pads? Here is the story I recently replaced the front brake pads on my screw. And now after a few applications on the brakes the front end seems to have a grinding feel to it when brakes are applied. but, when I first jump in the truck and take off the first couple of stops all is normal. It just seems that when the brakes begin to heat up is when the grinding starts. If it happens and then I go down the road for awhile and not apply the brakes for any period and allow them to cool down then apply the brakes all is good. Just curious if anyone else is having this problem or encountered it.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Are you sure its the front brakes ,that grinding noise is decieving and may be the rears.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:19 AM
I had this happen once before. New pads, got the grinding noise/ feel in the brake pedal. Took it back to the brake shop and the guys told me the pads had "glazed over" and they replaced them for free. Not sure what they meant by it, but they said it happens occasionally.

Old 09-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
New pads need to be broke in by light applications alternate with some cooling time or things can happen.
Your trying to put a raw new surface against old rotor surfaces.
Depending on the pad material and the rotor, various wear patterns occurr.
When going away from OEM design, expect anything to happen because the original known match of materials is gone.

Quick Reply: brakes