SuperCrew

Stereo Question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Question....

OK, first; yes I've searched..... second, posted here as the Screws are the only trucks that will have my options and issues, youse are a captive audience!!!

What I got:
2001 Screw with crap head unit and OK rear mounted 6 CD changer. (Non- premium I guess....no premium sound lables)

What I wanna do is this:

New HU: Pioneer P6500
Speakers: Pioneer A6867
Retain rear mounted CD Changer. (For now...it's paid for!)

All I found, seems to be good reports on these parts.

Questions:
1) Does the aux input in this Pioneer accept the remote mounted DVD changer that I have, ie plug right in?

2) This is a single unit height, what do I use to fill the rest of the space and from where???

3) Is there an adaptor plug to go from "Ford to Pioneer" or must everything be spliced in??? (using the Pioneer harness that comes with the unit)

4) I'll presume that my speed sensitive sound control goes bye-bye???

5) Any other fitment issues I should be aware of???

6) Any other issues? Radio reception? I'll assume that FM is good due to Supertuner circuits. How is AM reception? I do listen occasionally, and the Ford unit performs terribly.... but then so it does on FM too!

7) Do speakers plug right in? Screw holes line up?? Drilling required?

Thanks for your replies!
Steve

Old 08-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Re: Stereo Question....

Originally posted by fastmerc

Questions:
1) Does the aux input in this Pioneer accept the remote mounted DVD changer that I have, ie plug right in?

2) This is a single unit height, what do I use to fill the rest of the space and from where???

3) Is there an adaptor plug to go from "Ford to Pioneer" or must everything be spliced in??? (using the Pioneer harness that comes with the unit)

6) Any other issues? Radio reception? I'll assume that FM is good due to Supertuner circuits. How is AM reception? I do listen occasionally, and the Ford unit performs terribly.... but then so it does on FM too!

My answers:
1. no idea
2. Filler face plate (done all the time).
3. No Idea
4. Speed Sens. was in the radio yes- bye bye
5. Try Crutchfield
6. No Idea
7. No idea

Sorry that's all I got.

Old 08-31-2004, 11:08 PM
Re: Stereo Question....

Questions:

Your best bet is to give Crutchfield a call and see what they have. The folks there are pretty helpful and knowledgeable. As for your questions....

1. No Idea

2. I have tried 3 seperate radio install kits and have come to like the one provided from Crutchfield (free of charge by the way) the most.

3. Get a wiring harness from just about anywhere (Wal-Mart/Pep-Boys/Autozone) that will plug into the Ford OEM harness and gives you free wires on the other end that you just hook up to the Pioneer.

4. Bah....Bye...

5. Probably nothing out of the ordinary with aftermarket stuff. Nothing I'd sweat over.

6. I went with an Alpine XM Unit and never looked back

7. The speakers (5x7 's) should screw into the factory holes. You may need to massage the wholes in the speaker frame (which is what I had to do for my Polk dB570's)

Tony

Old 09-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the help so far guys!!!

re #1, plugging in the Ford CD changer, to the rear of the Pioneers.... They have something called an IP-Bus for connecting to changers.

Is this an industry standard that Ford also subscribes to??? ....any other of youse been able to plug in a factory changer?? (I'll also post this to the generic board too....

re#2 & 3, Crutchfield has the filler panel with the "pocket" to fill the space. About $20, plus a "Ford" adaptor so you don't have to cut off the radio plug. $13 or so. Plus they even have speaker plugs to put on your new ones. They're a tad pricey at $12 per pair!

#4, speed controlled sound is a goner.

#5 & 6, seems to be fairly straightforward installation.

#7 Crutchfield lists factory speakers as 6x8. Tony sez 5x7....
or are they so close that they are sorta universal?

Thanks for your info thus far!!!
Steve

Old 09-01-2004, 05:36 PM
re#2 & 3, Crutchfield has the filler panel with the "pocket" to fill the space. About $20, plus a "Ford" adaptor so you don't have to cut off the radio plug. $13 or so. Plus they even have speaker plugs to put on your new ones. They're a tad pricey at $12 per pair!
Not that I'm supporting/sponsoring Crutchfield, but they give you all these goodies (harnesses and adaptors) for FREE!!!! if you buy the gear from them...

i.e. Buy Radio from them....get the filler panel and "Ford" radio adapter for FREE. Buy the speakers from them, get the speaker adaptors for FREE too..

#7 Crutchfield lists factory speakers as 6x8. Tony sez 5x7....
or are they so close that they are sorta universal?
Mine was for a 2003 F150 SuperCrew. Crutchfield had them listed as 5x7. You can get a larger size if you're willing to cut your sheet metal on the door.

Tony

Quick Reply: Stereo Question....