SuperCrew

has anyone heard of reprograming the door locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question has anyone heard of reprograming the door locks

just wondering if anyone has ever heard or has reprogramed the door locks to pop open when you either shut the truck off or place the vehicle in park( which is what i want so when i drop kids off they can get out while the vehicle is running). it's a real pain in the **** when you get out first and you forget to unlock the doors. the kids are yelling at me to let them out or there grabbing the tab for the rear locks and it's not really long enough to pull up on. just thought maybe someone here felt the same way and went and had something done about it. i will check with the dealer to see if they can do this next time i'm in getting the oil changed.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:49 PM
I dont Know about having them unlock automatically but you can disable the self locking option if you wish. In the manual there is the procedure (I'v done it to mine a few months ago) that is a mix of locking/unlocking key on key off sequences that will disable the auto lock function.

I do keep the child safety locks on for the rear doors of my Screw though, but it saves me from having to go back to my door to unlock them.

Dpostman

Old 08-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Re: has anyone heard of reprograming the door locks

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sgauthier
just wondering if anyone has ever heard or has reprogramed the door locks

--------------------------------------
I tried this on my 2003 E250 van to ENABLE the auto-lock feature, but it didn't work for me. The procedure is supposed to work on all late-model Ford trucks with power locks.
Link---->> http://www.fordf150.net/howto/autolocks.php

Old 08-12-2004, 05:59 PM
If I had kids now I would not cut out this safety feature...It will protect your kids in the long run...You should just upgrade the way you do this...Shut down your engin and take your keys...If you forget to open the doors for them , you can use the remote in your hand to do it ...This leaves you in control of the truck and the kids...Just my opinion...

Old 08-13-2004, 06:47 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ConcreteGuy
If I had kids now I would not cut out this safety feature...It will protect your kids in the long run...
Don't we have child safety locks in the rear anyway? Disabling the auto locks but using the child safety might be a colution. That way, one can one ope nthe door from the outside.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:15 AM
I have a 5 Year old and a 3 month old. I was so used to dumping my keys in my pocket as soon as I get out to go get the Baby stroller in the Back of the truck, that by the time I got to the rear door to get the kids out, I had to start fiddling in my pocket to get the keys out again to unlock the damn doors. It was quicker just to reopen my door (way over on the Drivers side) to unlock the doors again. Also, when you take kids to a daycare every day (Just the 5 year old), this auto lock feature becomes a major annoyance some fast. But as stated earlier, I do enable the child safety locks on the rear doors. I'v caught my 5 year old more that once, trying to open the door while driving.

On top of all that, I just assume that the autolock feature will make my power door locks wear out twice as fast.

Dpostman

Old 08-13-2004, 07:37 AM
<<<< I'm driving a 2001 F-150 Scab 4x4 Lariat and love it >>>>
Concreteguy drives a Scab. He dosen't know about the rear door child safety locks. What's he doing in the Screw Forum... Somebody Kick him out

BTW, Nice corner of the world you live in concreteguy

dpostman

Trending Topics

Old 08-13-2004, 08:44 AM
thanks for the replies. as i stated, it's a real pain especially in the winter. it would be nice if they would just open. i looked at that child lock in the back (on the edge of the rear doors)and i ended up locking myself in the rear seat. i had to use my key in the ignition and open the rear window so that i could get out. the key button wouldn't even release the doors for me to get out. that's real safe if your in an accident. not sure if i would like that but i do understand about younger kids trying to get out. i have 3 kids aged from 6 ,9, and 12 so that has never been an issue. other manufacturers have this feature. when you place the vehicle in park the door locks pop up. i'm just hoping i can reprogram mine. if you turn the automatic locks off when you place it into gear you still haven't gained anything. you still have to lock the doors just in case the kids happen to grab the door handle when the vehicle is moving. oh well. i have to go to the dealer next week and i'll ask the tech guy if he has ever heard of doing this and if it is at all possible. if it is i'll post back on here and let anyone that is interested know.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Please let us know, I like the fact the doors lock when trucks starts to move , but I would love it if they unlocked in park

Old 08-13-2004, 09:37 AM
that's all i want as well. if i find out anything i'll post

Old 08-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by dpostman
Concreteguy drives a Scab. He dosen't know about the rear door child safety locks. What's he doing in the Screw Forum... Somebody Kick him out

BTW, Nice corner of the world you live in concreteguy

dpostman
Ok that's not true...I had a 1996 Buick with those locks...The locks do not stop a stranger from opening the outside door and...

I like that once your moving the doors are all auto locked...The system was designed based on the more important needs and fears we have...But I see your points though...Could be Ford has a way to deal with them...Good point about having a crash and not being able to get the back doors open from inside the rig...

As for Cape Breton Island...simple words can't show how pretty it is here...You just have to come see for yourself....

Oh and I have been kicked out of many places just as good as this one...something about me having a big mouth...but Me memory is not so good now

Old 08-13-2004, 01:21 PM
The locks do not stop a stranger from opening the outside door and...
I do think that the autolock function has a very important roll, and I suppose that if I lived in a bigger city with slow moving traffic, I probably would appreciate that function, but I guess where I live, There aren't enough stop lights to keep me moving that slow (Ducking)

And I'v been around Cape Breton a few times already back in my touring years (Used to be a sound Man). Mostly to Cheticamp and Sydney. Loved it every time.

Oh, And I don't intend to be in the back seat of my truck if I have an accident. I might however be there if we're Parked and being stuck there might not be a bad thing

Dpostman

Old 08-13-2004, 03:28 PM
dpostman, maybe you won't be in the back seat but i guess you don't want your kids or even your adult friends to be able to get out of the vehicle in case there is accident then right (this is when you disable the inside door release with the provided lock on the edge of the rear doors)? i tried it to see what would happen and now i know. i will never disable the rear inside door handle release. enough said.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:30 PM
finally got the last of my warranty service done on my s'crew. i asked the Tech guy and he had never heard of reprograming it for this feature but that he is going to be sitting down with a Ford rep at the end of the month and he was going to ask him if this could be done. he thought they might be able to do it but didn't garauntee anything. he'd get back to me or i would aks him again when i went for my next oil change.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You cannot program the vehicle to unlock the doors automatically. Your only option would be to pursue an aftermarket remote entry system.

Quick Reply: has anyone heard of reprograming the door locks