SuperCrew

4x4 front differential question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 front differential question

For those of you who own a 4x4, is it true that the front is an open differential so that technically if 1 tire in the front is slipping you will basically not have traction in the front...???

I ask this because I have been in a few situations where I was in soft (really soft) dirt and could not get up this hill that I watched a 4x4 ranger with lockers front and back go up it with no problems.

If the front is an open differential what options are there to make it a LS or a locker but not full time of cource because that would bind everything up in the front on road with the 4x4 disengaged, because the front is still conected even with the 4x4 disengaged, correct?

Please advise on this as I want to learn more about the front end drive train of my SCREW 4x4.

Thanks ahead of time for ANY info

Old 12-26-2002, 05:23 PM
dcovell:

You are correct, the front axle is an open type. All power will go to the wheel with the least traction. Mine has Limited Slip in the rear axle which at least gives a portion of the power to the slower wheel, but its still not as good as a "locker."

I don't know of any kits to add LS or Locker to a front axle on these trucks, but surely someone makes one.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:36 PM
dc, I second dbarbee's answer. Also you would want a locker(either air a new electric one's that have come out) in the front & not a L/S. A L/S front end would still chew up tire's alot faster than an unlocked front end or an open front end . Up until 93 you could still order a Bronco with the dreaded twin traction beam front end with a limited slip or locking diff. But so many people bitched about it because of the handling on pavement that they did away with it.

I know these are available but don't know if it is for our truck's. The electric one's are new,but supposed to work really great. I saw a segment on it on truck's TV awhile back.

Listen to this FORD!! Another good option for the off-raod package !!! Toyota has it as an option on some of their 4x4's.

Fall

Quick Reply: 4x4 front differential question