Crash ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crash ?

You seem to be very knowledgable on ATI's and Eatons so I have a question. As of right now I am running 15.4@87.5 with a superchip, dual exhaust, and an FIPK. (I will be adding headers in a couple of weeks). Now i have come to the conclusion that the only way to get what i want out of this truck is to supercharge it. I have a friend with a lightning and i have "seen the light" so to speak. What i am looking for out of a supercharger is the best 1/4 mile et/mph & also the most passing power around 50mph and on up. SO, question is: What would be the best supercharger out there for me.....considering that i would be running around 8-10lb of boost with any one i go with??

thanks
justin

Old 02-21-2002, 10:46 PM
ATI

Old 02-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Now if I only had $5000 lying around or burning a hole in my pocket...

Old 02-22-2002, 07:43 AM
ATI

you really should get the ATI. also, get a good shift kit too. I have the ati on my 4x4 and I really have quite gettin on it thru gear changes. also, save up for the phase II mods that crash and skid are developing. I think they will be able to deliver another 60rwhp and better overall engine performance too. out of the box the ATI is at the very top of the fuel delivery capability and sometimes there a little bit of detonation. after you get a blower you'll know what i talking about. fuel pressure and all that becomes top of mind.

also you'll become very very aware of the slightest change in barometric pressure. up or down. most of the time my truck will barely break the tires loose from a red light and the boost doesn't really explode until i'm half way thru the intersection. however sometimes on a cold clear morning, i can git it 2/3 throttle and DUDE, the engine screams and you can hear the blower whistle real loud and the tires squeel like a hog butherin'.

off the line when i punch it, my truck mimics the older big block corvettes with highway-geared rear end.

out of the box your best bet is the ATI, plus you can play with it and tune and trick it out more. From my perspective of a marketing person, ATI has done a better job of covering all the bases as far as features and bene's. Magna's product strategy seems more "one size fits all" what you get is what you get. ATI's staff seem to be more power-hungry hot rod dudes, magnas staff seem to be more a bunch of real conservative engineers that are afraid of pushing the envelope. That's just my impression talking to folks at boith outfits. That's mostly the reason i chose ati technology over any other was because of the attitudes of the people. The magna folks are very nice, polite and customer oriented, i just got a little frustrated when i asked about smaller pulleys and more boost. the magna folks kinda gave me this vibe lilke i was a heretic and needed to be put in jail. however, i talked to to the ati folks(like a whole bunch in diffrnt depts) and every one was like me - wanting to make some fun happen in the vehicle. like i talked to a 19 yr old kid and he had an ati in his 5.0 and he was just really on fire for the product. )They say the janitor of a church is the most accurate indicator of the spiritual condition of the place. - i'm sure you get my analogy)

Lastly, the reason you should get an ati is some crazy dude about a year ago had an ati on his f150 and ran a 10.02 1/4 mile. Few people believed it, but I have faith that it really happened..... (so who was that crazy dude????)

Old 02-22-2002, 11:03 AM
alwright, it definitley seems the way to go is the ati. In real life perspective, what kinda times should i be running with the ati.... considering i am running 15.4@87 now?? I know it is gonna vary and i dont' want to expect too much and be dissapointed if i dont' run what i was hoping. So what times are pretty much assured with good traction with the ati considering the times i am running now??

thanks again
justin

Old 02-22-2002, 11:27 AM
I went by the local Dyno the other day and saw a 99 5.4 F150 on it so I stoped and went inside. The truck had a Pro-M mass air, 30 lbs injectors, Vortech S trim supercharger, front mount intercooler, and dual flowmasters. They dynoed the truck with 10psi of boost and to my amazement 381 hp and 425 tq. I was quite astonished because I thought Crash had been makeing the most power on those trucks with his ATI setup. I guess the Vortech kit is just as good. Now I am real excited becuase I puchased a set of the new 2000 heads off a recked truck and I am going to have them ported as much as posible. After that I will put an intercooler on and I hope to make 400 to the rear tires. After seeing that truck I know it is very likly I can make 400 hp with minimal effort. I would not discount the vortech kit as being inferior the ATI one. To each his own.

Quick Reply: Crash ?