Finally no more belt slip

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally no more belt slip

Been fighting belt slip since procharger was installed. The 3.40 head pulley slipped the least but would still cover the bracket in belt dust after a while. The 3.20 pulley added a little more power down low but slipped even more. I tested a 3.00 pulley once with new belt that I could barely get it over the pulley and tightened the devil out of it just for a few test runs. Truck pulled hard down low then at about 3000 rpms it slipped so bad that it was like the tires spinning on ice. Removed it immediately and went back to 3.40 and just had to live with it. Finally got hold of a guy that said he could help me with that dreaded belt slip. He makes his own pulleys to replace the slipmaster that procharger sent me. It's also adjustable so you can align it up just right. We decided on a 3.20 that he had in stock. I wanted to go with a 3.00 but truck was tuned with 3.40 and would need retune before I could hammer it. Installed pulley with new Gates RPM belt and took it out for test run. After about 20 miles I pulled over to take a look at belt. No belt dust or anything unusual. Now the real test begins. I ran the **** out of that truck until I got home going down backroads so I could floor it and slow down and hit it again. Got home and to my surprise there was no dust. Been on there for probably 200 miles or so and procharger bracket is clean as a whistle. Easy to see dust if there was any cause I mirror polished that sucker. Just figured I would let you guys know about custom pulley in case anyone needed more grip not slip. Can't remember if its ok to list on here where I got it or has to be pm. Next up is bigger crank pulley.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:32 PM
BTW does anyone know if there is a way to see the part numbers on the harmonic balancer without taking it off? Was thinking about trying one of those small mirrors or something. I am trying to find out if balancer is for a truck or a mustang. Engine is supposed to have a cobra crankshaft or copy of one and limited options for truck but plenty for a mustang. I do know that the twin disc clutch that was installed in the truck is listed for the 03/04 cobra and some other mustangs according to part number. Wanting to go bigger on crank pulley and no help from procharger so I am looking at other options.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:54 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So who is this mystery man?

Old 12-25-2017, 09:17 PM
His name is Greg and BLOWERWORKS is the name of his business. Super nice guy to deal with. Still not a hint of belt dust on bracket. Pulley mounting point is adjustable so you can adjust it if you need to get perfect alignment. Forget if I mentioned that or not in first post.