tire traction issue: which tires with a 4x4 for the best traction for street use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy tire traction issue: which tires with a 4x4 for the best traction for street use?

Hi there,

picture my truck: it is 4x4, front is leveled 2.5"
I am NOT planning to drop the truck nor putting traction bars as I've read on forums, ride is rough after that.

I am looking to get the best traction possible for street use on 2WD from stop to WOT.

with the stock tires 275/65R18 traction is terrible, tires will spin for 3-5 seconds from stop to WOT

I'm not interested in slicks but I'd like something similar in term of traction

Questions:
#1 which tires size would you see fit on my 4x4 truck to get GOOD traction?
remember it is 4x4 and I do not want to drop it.
#2 could an air ride, with adjustable height, and sometimes set a a low setting could provide a better grip or does height doesn't affect traction?
#3 Is it even possible to get traction on stock height trucks?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You got $$$$? Get a set of summer and winter tires and rims. For the winter I recommend BFG All Terrains or Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks. As for the summer what I do is pull the lever and launch in 4x4.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
You got $$$$? Get a set of summer and winter tires and rims. For the winter I recommend BFG All Terrains or Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks. As for the summer what I do is pull the lever and launch in 4x4.
I only need a street tire for summer that can handle 500tq on 2wd

thoughts anyone?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Hate to tell you but there's not a street tire thats gonna hook like that. I have dual adjustable shocks, Caltrec traction bars, and 305mm wide performance tires. They still spin like crazy when I floor it at 30mph. Slicks will dead hook though. But even that takes having the shocks set up just right with compression and rebound and the traction bars have to have just the right amount of preload. Even with all of that the track has to be well prep'd. The slicks will spin on the street.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:17 AM
so at there is not much point to drag race a 4x4 correct?

on a 1/8 mile, I have 2 options, floor it on 4x4 and I just get 8.9 I think
or will I get a faster time if on 2wd I don't floor it and go progressively to keep traction?

Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by widj
so at there is not much point to drag race a 4x4 correct? on a 1/8 mile, I have 2 options, floor it on 4x4 and I just get 8.9 I think or will I get a faster time if on 2wd I don't floor it and go progressively to keep traction?
Now I'm confused. In you original post you said:
I am looking to get the best traction possible for street use on 2WD from stop to WOT.
So my comment was regarding street tires for street use. There is not any street tire thats gonna hook with that much power. Summer or performance tires will help but they only perform better when the road temps are high. Depending on where you live the road temps may not be very high for long which would leave you disappointed in your investment.

As for drag racing, if you don't want to spin you're gonna have to get some slicks or use 4wd.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
Do you just launch in 4wd then switch to 2wd? Never even got down on mine in 4wd after procharger was installed. After going to 410 gears, traction in first gear is impossible in 2wd. All I can do is punch it and quickly shift to second.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
So my comment was regarding street tires for street use. There is not any street tire thats gonna hook with that much power. Summer or performance tires will help but they only perform better when the road temps are high. Depending on where you live the road temps may not be very high for long which would leave you disappointed in your investment.

As for drag racing, if you don't want to spin you're gonna have to get some slicks or use 4wd.
the reason why you still don't have traction with traction bars and 305 is it because our trucks have a higher center of gravity or is it just because too much HP?

do Shelby's with 500HP and over have traction issues as well with good street tires?

I thought I heard a launch control thing on Shelby..

Last edited by widj; 06-11-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM
the reason why you still don't have traction with traction bars and 305 is it because our trucks have a higher center of gravity or is it just because too much HP? do Shelby's with 500HP and over have traction issues as well with good street tires? I thought I heard a launch control thing on Shelby.. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_VSknNCVHs
The launch control on the GT500 is programmed in the engine management system. Using the anti-lock brake sensor, vss, and other sensors it determines if the wheels are spinning and which ones. Then it will use the anti-lock brakes to slow the spinning wheels and/or a reduction in spark timing to reduce power and prevent the wheel spin. Basically you aren't getting full power on take off.

I had to learn how to drive my truck. You will have to do the same. Learn the limits. Practice taking off from stops and mashing the accelerator as a far as possible without spinning. Once you've mastered that you start learning how much more you can press the gas once your rolling without breaking traction. Before long you will be able to control your launch and take off like a rocket. Makes for some fun races. The idiot next to you is gonna floor his ride and spin while you will already be at the next light.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 06-12-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:11 PM
I only need a street tire for summer that can handle 500tq on 2wd

thoughts anyone?
Nitto Crosstek HD's maybe? They are made for HD trucks, so should handle that torque, I believe. I only bought mine because it was the only tires I could afford in the size I wanted at the time. My anemic motor, is nothing compared to yours though.

http://www.nittocrosstek.com/tires.aspx?tt=1

Old 06-13-2014, 08:42 PM
is the wider the better, ie. 305?

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?p=702704
trentnell

305/45R18 running 9.87? has to be on slicks right? darn good for a diesel jeez..

it doesn't look to bad to have low profile tires on his truck

Name:  IMG00059.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  42.0 KB

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM
the guy with the diesel is most likely launching in 4wd, the duramax trucks sit lower than a dodge heavy duty or ford superduty because of the independent front suspension

Quick Reply: tire traction issue: which tires with a 4x4 for the best traction for street use?