2005 roush SC tuning issue? loosing COP's, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 roush SC tuning issue? loosing COP's, etc?

i just installed the roush intercooled kit on my 05 f150 last weekend. The tranny feels like it slipping and shifts terribly. the SC fells like its not building any boost except at 1/8 throttle or less. and the biggest issue is i keep getting cels. The computer was flashed by roush.

During back and forth driving to work. approx 10 miles it has been throwing a cel for #6 cop OR the #5 cop. Yesterday i drove it on a 2 hour round trip. I noticed that whenever i was coasting down a hill,, or slightly off the gas it would pop a CEL for one COP or another. On the trip home (mostly down hill) it showed a code for every cop but #3 and #7? I dont see 6 cops failing in an hour being real?

The truck is missing and if you continue to roll into the throttle ever so lightly, they just kind of come back on and doesnt miss.

I have a feeling its not the cops, but more than likely some roush tuning issue. Has anyone experienced this? im not sure what to do now?

i will post this in the 04-08 section also.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got through with my Roush install a few weeks ago. Everything worked fine. However, my truck only had 7,000 miles on it and I changed the COPs to higher voltage units.

Did you change your COPs when you did the install. What about the plugs? If you did, check your COP plugs to make sure they're properly attached. What did you gap your plugs to?

As to boost, are you sure you spliced the correct wires from the IMRC for the bypass controller? If you're sure that's right, then you might want to check your vacuum fittings and connections at the boost bypass.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Windsor
I just got through with my Roush install a few weeks ago. Everything worked fine. However, my truck only had 7,000 miles on it and I changed the COPs to higher voltage units.

Did you change your COPs when you did the install. What about the plugs? If you did, check your COP plugs to make sure they're properly attached. What did you gap your plugs to?

As to boost, are you sure you spliced the correct wires from the IMRC for the bypass controller? If you're sure that's right, then you might want to check your vacuum fittings and connections at the boost bypass.
new htO plugs, no new cops. i did not gap my plugs. i was "told" these plugs are pre-gapped? not true?

Im sure i attached them correctly. Its one 7mm bolt? when cop 6 was acting up, i pulled the cop back out to verify.

Yes, i know i have the wires right and i have checked for leaks.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by ckrawler
new htO plugs, no new cops. i did not gap my plugs. i was "told" these plugs are pre-gapped? not true?

Im sure i attached them correctly. Its one 7mm bolt? when cop 6 was acting up, i pulled the cop back out to verify.

Yes, i know i have the wires right and i have checked for leaks.
When I installed my supercharger, I didn't gap the HT0 plugs either and didn't have a problem. I went back with the stock COPs and didn't have a problem with them either.

However, this spring after changing the spark plugs to the Brisk plugs, I dropped a COP. I bought 1 new one and kept swapping it out until I found the bad one. Unfortunately the bad one was the 7th one I swapped out.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
are you running 93oct? and that crappy roush tune wont make boost till like 80% throttle.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
no, we only have 91 octane here. I know the tune sucks, but im still at a loss about the cops.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
if you have ever washed your engine bay with water you have probably damaged a few COPs, they dont like water that much.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 AM
i havent.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 AM
What boost pressure are you running, and does Roush mean by "pre-gapped" as they gap the plugs, or just the factory gap is good enough?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The plugs are supposed to be pre-gapped, but things happen. It's always a good idea to check the gap. Most tuners recommend a tighter plug gap than the stock gap with a blower. I don't know how hard that is to do with those plugs. I have the new style heads that use a conventional plug. There is nothing in the tune that should have affected the COPs. I think one probably got damaged when you did your install.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:23 AM
The plugs are supposed to be pre-gapped, but things happen. It's always a good idea to check the gap. Most tuners recommend a tighter plug gap than the stock gap with a blower. I don't know how hard that is to do with those plugs. I have the new style heads that use a conventional plug. There is nothing in the tune that should have affected the COPs. I think one probably got damaged when you did your install.
Easiest way to gap the plugs is with a socket, cotter pin(or something of similar size), and a vise.

Put the spark plug in the socket. Then put that assembly in the vice horizontally along with the cotter pin. Squeeze until desired gap.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
What boost pressure are you running, and does Roush mean by "pre-gapped" as they gap the plugs, or just the factory gap is good enough?
stock roush pulleys. stock boost. i just installed what roush sent me. they were autolite hto.

thats what i thought until 6 of them failed and then came back on.

its a 05 with
dynatech headers
3" flowmaster exhaust
no cats

the rear o2's are not turned off yet and it is calling for those codes
Is it running fat becasue the rear sensors are stuck on lean?

i was told that even if the rear o2's were not connected that it would not effect performance becasue the pcm only monitors the front o2's for performance. ?

i was also told by a local tuner that with no rear o2's the pcm beleives the truck may have cloged cats and run different.

i cant seem to find an article on gapping the 04+ 3v plugs? anyone know of one?

Last edited by ckrawler; 09-28-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by ckrawler

i cant seem to find an article on gapping the 04+ 3v plugs? anyone know of one?
With factory boost(6lbs??) I wouldn't think you would have to gap them. That could be your issue though.

I have mine gapped at .034 I beleive.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:47 PM
3 days of calling into roush and i am getting no where. they are ZERO help and dont return calls.

i talked to mike troyer and he rec gaping the plugs to .30 and changing the fuel filter.

why isnt this mentioned in the roush install guide? so i pulled plugs 1, 5 and 6 and they are all gaped at .30. I quit there and changed the filter. Truck still pulled codes for 5 and 6 on decelleration.

I ordered the troyer/sct tuning 2 weeks ago, but at this point i think i want this roush tuning out of my truck and will just pass on the troyer tune. no offense against troyer.

My local tuner cant even look at the roush tune to check anything. From experience with the roush mustangs, He recommended dumping the roush tune and starting over with a diablo tune from a lighting as a base and doing a custom dyno tune.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Very strange I dont know why your tuner cant save your roush tune mine did, and the people at roush are morons I hate calling there they dont know ***** about there parts, I would find a new tuner and get a custom tune.
you might have a bad batch of plugs too I had 3 of the plugs that came in the roush kit fail in less than 3k

Quick Reply: 2005 roush SC tuning issue? loosing COP's, etc?