What a Difference a Year Makes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Retros look good! What happened at the car show?
Okay, so there is a local car show held by a transmission shop here near Fort Knox. I called ahead and I ask the guy who's running it if it was just a classics car show or is it for anyone. He tells me yes, it's for anyone, all makes and models welcome. So I get excited because it is my first car show besides the Roush meet and greets which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm not attending these things to win trophies nor do I expect to place. I'm only going because I want to meet other enthusiasts like me who just want to show what they have. I spent 4 hours the night before washing, buffing and polishing. The next day I arrive at the spot and they direct me in. There is a good mix of classic and modern vehicles on the lot so I feel comfortable going in. I go around the building looking for a place to park and I find a spot between two cars. As I'm backing the guy parked next to the spot comes over and says that his friend is coming. No problem, I said and proceeded toward the back of the building since the show was all the way around the building. Another worker directing cars says there is a spot in the corner I should be able to get into. I see it and it's open. I pass it up to back into it, and as I'm backing up, a lady in the next spot over picks up her lawn chair and moves it right in the middle of my spot! I stick my head out the window and glare at her. She tells me that she's waiting for someone and I can't park there. Ok, but the attendant told me I can park here, I told her. She didn't move. I motioned the attendant over and told him what happened. Instead of giving me the spot, he tells me to park perpendicular to the spot since there was a dead end. I say ok. He leaves and I go to park again. She must of heard him because she got another chair and put it in that spot too! I was furious! There were a couple of Chevy truck people there and instead of backing me up, they just turned their backs and laughed. The attendant didn't do anything either. I could've caused a scene, but did I really want to fight for a spot I wasn't welcomed at? I sucked it up, and pulled back around. I was fuming at that point. I went up to the entrance where they were bring the cars in and told the guy that was running the show what happened. He told me to go to the lot next to them because that's where most of the show was going to be anyway. He then told me make sure I parked toward the back of the lot because he wanted the "nice" cars to be in front. WHOA! What did he say! I asked him if he thought my truck was nice. He said that's not what he meant to say. I asked him what he considered nice enough to be out "front". He then told me that this was more of a "classics" show and he preferred the more recent models be in the rear. I told him I was under the impression that all makes and models were welcomed here. It got to the point I was so furious I just ended up leaving. I was most angry because I wasted so much time the night before preparing for something I wasn't even welcomed at. Are most car show attendees jerks like this? The Roush one was great! I met a lot of great people there and everyone was curious about my truck because the majority of Roush's are mustangs. Anyway, thats when I went back home and took these photos since it was all cleaned up. Turned out to be a good day otherwise.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Wow. Can't blame you for feeling that way about the show. Sorry it wasn't a good experience.

On another note, the pictures you took look amazing!

Old 09-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's rough. I'd be furious!

Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
You kind of reinforce my attitude toward car shows. I haven't been in a few years. A lot of tools go to them. I talk to people when I see them out and about. I get the same. I've had numerous comments on my truck at gas stations. It feels better to me that way. Less comparing too. My truck gets some attention in person...online not as much. Its like seeing a mint chevelle SS online and shrugging it off and then actually seeing one in person. You appreciate it more. Too much arrogance and know it alls at shows imo. Truck looks great...that bumper looks nice.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
You kind of reinforce my attitude toward car shows. I haven't been in a few years. A lot of tools go to them. I talk to people when I see them out and about. I get the same. I've had numerous comments on my truck at gas stations. It feels better to me that way. Less comparing too. My truck gets some attention in person...online not as much. Its like seeing a mint chevelle SS online and shrugging it off and then actually seeing one in person. You appreciate it more. Too much arrogance and know it alls at shows imo. Truck looks great...that bumper looks nice.
Thanks! You're absolutely right! Everywhere I go I get compliments and the people here on the forums are awesome so I don't need trophies for attention. I was just hoping for a similar experience I got at the Roush events. Maybe just need to be more careful which events I go to from now on.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by saleen1013
Wow. Can't blame you for feeling that way about the show. Sorry it wasn't a good experience.

On another note, the pictures you took look amazing!
Thanks Sammy! Your headlights Brother! Thanks again for everything.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:30 PM

That sucks . . . I can see shows being like that. I've never taken my truck to an actual show, but the really small shows that took place in my old neighborhood were way more casual than that. Anyone could bring any car and park it wherever they wanted. But there were less than 50 total cars, so you could see all of them easily and keep track of them.

I prefer meet and greet type "meets" instead of shows though. People at those seem to be more casual and more open to talking.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had the same problems here for a long time. The good ol' boy network and the lack of the Car guy attitude are out of control. I managed to get into a couple with good results and people but that was short lived. The classic car shows are feeling the pressure of a dying bred. To many people have seen the same ol cars to many times and it's getting old. We had one car show group rent out the fair grounds the week after their car show so it would reduce turn out of the out of towners that used to stay for both. As far as I can tell they are scared and the Tokyo drifts and fast and furious movies have people thinking all lowered or newer tricked out cars and trucks are driven by hood rat drug pushing gun toting thugs. I've even called a few event staff on a few other shows and their response was the shows are for the classics only. So in a moment of fury I told them that they need to stop alienating the younger folks with newer rides cause someone will need to pick up the torch after all their old as$es die. In my town there is a car show in different spots every week in July. Nothing newer then 76 is allowed. So it's the same cars and trucks for a month. Ridiculous. I feel your pain and have had the exact same thing happen to me. Cars and trucks no matter the year are an as$ load of work blood sweat and tears to get them to a high level. Especially when they are daily drivers. Your truck is kickass! Most of the people I've met with classics's are arrogant ****** anyway...lol

Old 09-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by 01 gt f150
I've had the same problems here for a long time. The good ol' boy network and the lack of the Car guy attitude are out of control. I managed to get into a couple with good results and people but that was short lived. The classic car shows are feeling the pressure of a dying bred. To many people have seen the same ol cars to many times and it's getting old. We had one car show group rent out the fair grounds the week after their car show so it would reduce turn out of the out of towners that used to stay for both. As far as I can tell they are scared and the Tokyo drifts and fast and furious movies have people thinking all lowered or newer tricked out cars and trucks are driven by hood rat drug pushing gun toting thugs. I've even called a few event staff on a few other shows and their response was the shows are for the classics only. So in a moment of fury I told them that they need to stop alienating the younger folks with newer rides cause someone will need to pick up the torch after all their old as$es die. In my town there is a car show in different spots every week in July. Nothing newer then 76 is allowed. So it's the same cars and trucks for a month. Ridiculous. I feel your pain and have had the exact same thing happen to me. Cars and trucks no matter the year are an as$ load of work blood sweat and tears to get them to a high level. Especially when they are daily drivers. Your truck is kickass! Most of the people I've met with classics's are arrogant ****** anyway...lol
Thanks Brother! You've done so much work to yours it doesn't seem fair. Probably more work than the people who have classic cars. I'm sure you get props everywhere you go. To me that's what really counts. Your ride looks great! Any more mods you going to do?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:32 PM

The small classic show I went to in Indiana a few weeks ago had predominantly classics, but two new 5.0s, a PT cruiser of all things (parked next to a '32 Ford haha), and it was a nice mix.

But John, I definitely agree that the alienation of young people is really hurting the shows. Just like anything else, the key to the future is passing things on to the generations below you. We don't need classic car shows to become defunct. Whenever I get around to having a classic and take it to shows, I want to welcome people of all ages to look at it, ask questions, etc. I want to everyone to be inviting and open at these things.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Hi from the UK. These are loads harder to own over hear, but who cares

Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 PM
That sucks . . . I can see shows being like that. I've never taken my truck to an actual show, but the really small shows that took place in my old neighborhood were way more casual than that. Anyone could bring any car and park it wherever they wanted. But there were less than 50 total cars, so you could see all of them easily and keep track of them.

I prefer meet and greet type "meets" instead of shows though. People at those seem to be more casual and more open to talking.
Seems to be different when you compete for trophies. I wish I can find more shows where you aren't competing against your friends. I need to look for more cruises I guess

Old 09-17-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jesusfrk
Thanks Brother! You've done so much work to yours it doesn't seem fair. Probably more work than the people who have classic cars. I'm sure you get props everywhere you go. To me that's what really counts. Your ride looks great! Any more mods you going to do?
Head turning is cool, especially when it's a guy in a dodge or Chevy..lol I'm on a holding pattern right now as far as mods go. I just got my new tunes from SSI and they are great. I've been debating on engines to build. 32v 4.6 or 32v 5.4. Block and timing cover differences and the v10 water pump for high volume. My lady and I want to move to Oregon and get out of this crazy heat. That would open up the prospect of long tubes and high flows. I still need to install my force lube tailhousing but I've been a dealing with my bad back. It has a way of modifying my habits and slowing down my forward progress..lol

Old 09-17-2014, 01:17 PM

The small classic show I went to in Indiana a few weeks ago had predominantly classics, but two new 5.0s, a PT cruiser of all things (parked next to a '32 Ford haha), and it was a nice mix.

But John, I definitely agree that the alienation of young people is really hurting the shows. Just like anything else, the key to the future is passing things on to the generations below you. We don't need classic car shows to become defunct. Whenever I get around to having a classic and take it to shows, I want to welcome people of all ages to look at it, ask questions, etc. I want to everyone to be inviting and open at these things.
True. At the Hot-orama show I had more people (younger folks) asking questions about the truck and it's mods then most of the classics. With all of the gas monkey, Kounts customs and other shows everyone thinks their beat down 70 c10's and falcons are worth 8 grand. No where near realistic. People these days fix up their daily drivers cause most can't afford two projects and the economy is forcing people to improvise. Most folks don't get paid what they are worth and hobbies take the hit. I always liked the Meguires car guy. It was always about the hard work and love of cars and the people that build them regardless of year make and model. That's where I'm at. I just wanted to help move the torch of car shows into the future. Not erect walls and clicks that hurt both the car shows and feelings of those that just want to be apart of it.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Did some new things while improving on the old. I noticed about a month ago my long side skirt on the passenger side rear was sagging a bit. I looked under and found a bracket missing on the end! It was still supported by the forward three brackets so it wasn't going to fall off, but it was definitely flapping! I looked on the other side to see if there was a fourth bracket on the driver's side and surprised again, there wasn't! i called the body shop and they told me they called 3DCarbon about it and they told them that the 4th bracket wasn't necessary. Seriously? I called 3DCarbon to confirm and they told me that particular rear bracket was discontinued and not necessary! I told them what was going on and sent them a photo and they immediately sent me out 2 brackets to support the ends. No big deal and I'm very impressed that they did everything they could to make me happy.
I decided to do something different that I haven't seen before. I needed something under the side skirts because they were getting beat up from debris. I love the look of the Roush Mustang side splitters and decided to try and make my own. I had to take off the side skirts anyway to mount the new brackets, so I decided to install the splitters at the same time:
Name:  DSC06948_zps20002801.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  65.5 KB
I used 1/4" ABS for the skirts and 1/8" for the splash guards on the end. It cost me about 100.00 dollars to do, and I can always take it off if I get sick of it. I think it turned out pretty good:
Name:  DSC07073_zpsdc3beb84.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  52.5 KB
Name:  DSC07076_zpsfb38222b.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  67.6 KB
I went ahead and tapered the ends behind the back tire like the Mustangs:
Name:  DSC07077_zpse522fcb2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  59.7 KB

Quick Reply: What a Difference a Year Makes!