Speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Speaker question

Little over a month ago I bought a 1997 ext. cab long bed 4x4 with the 4.6. It appears to have the factory receiver/cassette player with the 6 cd remote changer behind the driver's side seat below the side window.
Overall the cd player sounds decent, but I'm thinking of just changing the speakers for better mid-range and higher frequencies. I'm not concerned with the power, as the volume is plenty good for me. What spekers would you recommend?? also I believe there are only 4 speakers stock is this correct? My boss recommends Boston Acoustics as being great speakers and good cost value...any recomendations???

Old 05-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Check out the Polk EX-2550's. They are 5-1/4's with a seperate tweeter and crossovers. Crutchfield has them for $119 and they sound great.

Old 05-24-2002, 11:41 AM
go for the 6 and 1/2's don't cut yourself short here and you will be really glad later,and not much later either

Old 06-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Thumbs up

I put 4 Boston Acoustic 5x7's in my truck last week w/ 10" Boston pro series woofer. The clarity is great! The good thing about the RX series coax. is that you can turn them up and the clarity is not affected. A PPI 5 channel amp is pushing the speakers.

Go with Boston, stay away from the bottom level speakers though!

g-luck.

Old 06-12-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by tbrak
go for the 6 and 1/2's don't cut yourself short here and you will be really glad later,and not much later either
The 6-1/2's don't fit the doors without modification.
There isn't really that big of a difference between the 5-1/4's and the 6-1/2's anyhow.

Mike

Old 06-14-2002, 11:41 PM
Wink Bostons suit me well....

...although it's always personal taste. I go for what I call a "warm" sound with crisp highs and rich midrange (old rock, blues, classical, etc.) and these were some of the very best sounding to my 31-year-old ears. For durability, I was sure to pick some speakers which can handle more power than I ever plan to put to them (limits), and the bostons offered that, too.

Nothing quite like going to a few shops and listening to a few though, always surprising how different the same disc can sound.

Cheers!

Old 06-14-2002, 11:50 PM
I think you probably won't get the sound you seek without SOME additional power. Power has less to do with "volume" than it does with sound quality. Some speakers require additional power to drive them well. You don't have to go expensive, either. There are some nice little amps around 55W or so that would provide plenty of extra power to drive your front stage, and wouldn't break your bank at all. Consider that as you have fun looking around and listening to all the different speaker choices.

Old 06-17-2002, 03:58 PM
well if you want to go all out..

I have 8" subs behind my doors..
with 5 1/4 and 1 " tweets in the kicks. sounds killer.

all I can say is it isen't for the faint of heart and you need to modify the door. lots of sound deadening also.
but the windows still work and it looks good when done.

Quick Reply: Speaker question