06 Speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Speaker upgrade

so I blew one of the stock audiophile speakers in the rear out and bout some new kenwoods as a replacement and I was going to go all the way around. the kenwoods have built in tweeters but when I took the front speakers off it has a 4 inch woofer with a crossover and tweeter mounted above. I looked all over youtube and this forum before giving up. Can I just cut the main harness and install the speaker while giving up the stock tweeter or do I need to keep the crossover? I tried just the new speaker onto the harness but it sounded kind of quiet. any ideas?

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I looked for a while and couldn't find anything. maybe I don't know what I'm looking for lol

Old 02-10-2018, 10:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You can get creative and use the existing stock wiring harness and get spades and audio cables and make your own custom harness without cutting anything.

I used to do this for people who used to lease cars where cutting wiring was an absolute no-no.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
You can get creative and use the existing stock wiring harness and get spades and audio cables and make your own custom harness without cutting anything.

I used to do this for people who used to lease cars where cutting wiring was an absolute no-no.
Do I need the crossover though? Its installed as part of the front speaker. If I unscrew it from the front speaker mount then it will just be an extra item in the door to cause noise. Can I just take the main harness (two wires) and wire it to my new speakers?

Old 02-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've tried it both ways. Since crossovers split the lows and highs (or mids), it can give crisper sound. However, for most door speaker installs without an amp (just coming straight off the deck), I just wired them up without a crossover. Sounded OK to me.

Quick Reply: 06 Speaker upgrade