Any 3 Way Component Speaker Install threads for our F-150s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any 3 Way Component Speaker Install threads for our F-150s?

I was just entertaining the thought of maybe in the future, putting a 3 way component set on my doors but I was just looking at how practical/possible the install would be in my 2007 Supercab.

I have a chance to put my hands on a great set for a great price but I'm trying to see the best way to install them in the front doors.

Are there any threads on this subject?

I tried the search feature but to no avail.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 AM
so, there is no one here that has ever posted a 3 way component speaker set in our trucks?

that's hard to believe...

Old 01-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What kind of setup are you thinking about? I installed some 3-way pioneers into all four doors, but it was a direct swap with the factory ones. It made a huge difference and now has me wanting an amp and sub

Old 01-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Scanspeak d3004 tweeters, 10F mids, and Sterio Integrity TM65 midbass in factory location. Seat lift with 2 IDQ12'S.

I widened the factory tweeter location till it held the d3004 snuggly. Cut hole in upper door, then also shaved down the window air vent to fit 10F magnet. I resealed the shaved air vent with extra CDL tiles I had from deadening the doors.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Knowing what I know now, I would have just done speaker pods on axis.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by marcus1033
Knowing what I know now, I would have just done speaker pods on axis.

that looks like a nice setup!

why aren't you quite pleased with it?

Old 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM
doing some experimenting with installing these Focal 3 way drivers.

is having the mid bass woofer and the mid range driver so close to each other a bad thing?

also, these are going in my doors. i'm thinking about sealing something around the back of the mid range because it seems that the pressure of the woofer might not be good for it's performance.

any thoughts?

thanks.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by nu guy
doing some experimenting with installing these Focal 3 way drivers.

is having the mid bass woofer and the mid range driver so close to each other a bad thing?

also, these are going in my doors. i'm thinking about sealing something around the back of the mid range because it seems that the pressure of the woofer might not be good for it's performance.

any thoughts?

thanks.

I'm guessing from all of the silence that the two drivers in close proximity of each other is not that bad of a thing.

In fact, I installed them just like that and the difference in SQ from the 2 ways to the 3 ways are seismic!

Adding the mid range driver and splitting the frequencies 3 ways makes such a HUGE difference in sound quality!

The 6 3/4 inch woofer's frequency response goes down to 45 Hz and sealing off the access holes in the doors makes for some insane mid bass!!

I've been putting off buying 3 ways for about a decade because I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but boy, was i wrong!!!

Getting to and drilling holes in the Molex connectors in the doors (especially the driver's) was a bit of a pain in the *** but the work was well worth it!

BTW, if you ever drill thru the blank spaces in those connectors, be sure to not drill into wires and/or the pins that are in there!

here are a few pics.

Name:  20170202_221516.jpg
Views: 2433
Size:  227.7 KB

Last edited by nu guy; 02-11-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:10 PM
My 2 cents...

If you're not going to take the time (or spend the money) to have 3-ways properly setup within the truck, i.e. putting the tweeter and mirange in the A-pillar or the Kick Panels and properly aligned, then don't waste money on a 3-way set.

Buy a better 2-way set.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by kuruption
My 2 cents...

If you're not going to take the time (or spend the money) to have 3-ways properly setup within the truck, i.e. putting the tweeter and mirange in the A-pillar or the Kick Panels and properly aligned, then don't waste money on a 3-way set.

Buy a better 2-way set.
actually, i've been in the process of designing a pod for the side dashboard panels.

as i've said in another post, i am experimenting with the locations of the speakers... nothing is final yet.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Raising the Tweeter to the Plastics by the mirror will raise the sound stage considerably. Maybe try getting the Mid to where the tweeter is now too. Looks like you know what your doing. Experimenting like you are will net the best results for how you would like it to sound. I hope my suggestions are helpful.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by nu guy
that looks like a nice setup!

why aren't you quite pleased with it?
It sounds good, but always wondering if could of done better.