Excellent Replacement Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Excellent Replacement Speakers

I've got the stock speakers in my truck now since '07. But, I am getting the urge to upgrade them... I searched around on Crutchfield and some other online venues, and I'm having difficult figuring out what I need. For reference, I have a Pioneer DEH-6700MP head unit.

I know what sizes will work.. and I want to go with a 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 speaker. However, Crutchfield seems like they only these "component" speakers with the little tweeters that go on the pillars or dash. I don't want any more stuff on my dash to be frank or my pillars either, lol.

I just want much better than factory speakers without a mess.

Everyone keeps telling me Type R's, and I've installed Type R's before, and you really need a subwoofer to make them work and sound good, because they just don't reproduce the basses like even the factory ones do. And I don't want sub woofers, amplifiers, equalizers, and the like.

I just want a good speaker that reproduces all frequencies in a decent manner, without going crazy.

I don't listen to my music loud (I've gotten over that phase in my life a long time ago, lol), but I listen to all types, from disco, to rock, to country, talk shows, to whatever I fall upon on FM or Sirius/XM or CD's.

I've already done some searches around here, and I haven't found what I'm looking for, so that's I'm asking.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look really close at the 6x8 components sets. On my 2006 the tweeters go into the factory tweeter holes behind the door grill. Looks factory, but sounds a LOT better. I went with the Infinity 6830cs. Bass on the Infinity is better than the OEM speakers, and is enough to vibrate the rear/sideview mirrors with bass heavy music. IMHO You're not geoing to get any more bass than these without door modifications or adding a subwoofer.

Last edited by 54regcab; 03-16-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 54regcab
Look really close at the 6x8 components sets. On my 2006 the tweeters go into the factory tweeter holes behind the door grill. Looks factory, but sounds a LOT better. I went with the Infinity 6830cs. Bass on the Infinity is better than the OEM speakers, and is enough to vibrate the rear/sideview mirrors with bass heavy music. IMHO You're not geoing to get any more bass than these without door modifications or adding a subwoofer.
Really? I never had my doors apart yet... had no reason to. So I didn't know what to expect. Maybe if I look at some install pictures, I would've found this out. But that's good to hear.

I like those Infinity speakers.

Thanks for the link btw. I didn't check Sonic.. keep forgetting about that place. Seems like they got way more selection than Crutchfield and the other venues I've checked out.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So your saying in your 06, the front doors are components already prewired for the tweeter?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tx_f150
So your saying in your 06, the front doors are components already prewired for the tweeter?
Not prewired, but the hole is already there. You will still need to mount the crossover that comes with the component set and wire it up. Notice how big the speaker grill is, at the top above the armrest is where the tweeter would go.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM

Not prewired, but the hole is already there. You will still need to mount the crossover that comes with the component set and wire it up. Notice how big the speaker grill is, at the top above the armrest is where the tweeter would go.

Hmm... I need to go look at my door now. I have an XL with manual windows. Will get back to you.

Quick Reply: Excellent Replacement Speakers