Help need sub set up

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help need sub set up

I am new to subs and all. I am planning on getting an under the seat sub box for my 05 supercab. I would really appreciate some advice on the best set up. I am not looking for top of the line, just need something to start me out. Please fill me in on what would work best. I have friends telling me dual 10"s but this all goes in one ear and out the other.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:09 PM
alrighty ill try to be as broad as i can. if you get a vented/ported box (which lets air move in and out) it will be louder. a non vented/ported box will be a little more clean sounding and a little less loud.

dual subs verses one sub is just more sound. with that small of a space though, if you go with duals, you may have to run a sealed box (non vented/ported) which will be quiter and defeat the purpose of two subs just for the added noise. you may be able to run 2 subs in a vented/ported box, but it will be close. vented/ported subs want more air, so if there not enough air in the box it will sound weird (bass is all about air movement).

as far as brands rockford is loud and failrly clean, and will be cheap. they also have great shallow mount design subs which are designed for truck boxs. memphis is middle of the road as far as loud and clean and price, and they are one of my favorites. they also make a shallow design sub. jl is very very clean, and not quite as loud, and are more expensive. a buddy of mine ran two 10 inch W1s in his extended can ram and it sounded amazing. hertz is also another brand to look into that has fairly decent sound and pricing. avoid brands like sony, alpine, kicker, and anything sold at walmarts.

the right deck and amplifier mean all the world too. you want a deck with 3 sets of rca outputs so you can give your system a good "tune". also make sure your amp is designed to run with the subs youve selected. ohms are very important here. as far as power goes, use the rms rating for the sub and amp, not the max power. a good brand amp will sound a lot cleaner than a cheaper brand.

lastly, take your time, shop around, listen to friends stereos, and go to stores and listen to what they have. goodluck!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon
alrighty ill try to be as broad as i can. if you get a vented/ported box (which lets air move in and out) it will be louder. a non vented/ported box will be a little more clean sounding and a little less loud.

dual subs verses one sub is just more sound. with that small of a space though, if you go with duals, you may have to run a sealed box (non vented/ported) which will be quiter and defeat the purpose of two subs just for the added noise. you may be able to run 2 subs in a vented/ported box, but it will be close. vented/ported subs want more air, so if there not enough air in the box it will sound weird (bass is all about air movement).

as far as brands rockford is loud and failrly clean, and will be cheap. they also have great shallow mount design subs which are designed for truck boxs. memphis is middle of the road as far as loud and clean and price, and they are one of my favorites. they also make a shallow design sub. jl is very very clean, and not quite as loud, and are more expensive. a buddy of mine ran two 10 inch W1s in his extended can ram and it sounded amazing. hertz is also another brand to look into that has fairly decent sound and pricing. avoid brands like sony, alpine, kicker, and anything sold at walmarts.

the right deck and amplifier mean all the world too. you want a deck with 3 sets of rca outputs so you can give your system a good "tune". also make sure your amp is designed to run with the subs youve selected. ohms are very important here. as far as power goes, use the rms rating for the sub and amp, not the max power. a good brand amp will sound a lot cleaner than a cheaper brand.

lastly, take your time, shop around, listen to friends stereos, and go to stores and listen to what they have. goodluck!

What? "avoid Alpine" The New Alpine Type R subs hit hard !!!!

Quick Reply: Help need sub set up