Pondering subs and boxes

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pondering subs and boxes

Hey all!

I was lurking and reading some of everyone's builds and questions about their subs and I am seeing some different generations of the F150 but didn't really encounter any 2010 builds and threads about them.

So onto what I would like some community feedback about:

Presently getting back into the audio market, been out for about 5 years (last system in my 2000 F150 was stolen and broke my heart at the time to rebuild it). Now I have a 2010 F150 SCrew, love how Ford leveled the back flooring which helps a ton!

While I've listened to many subs, I have yet to sit down and take measurements as to what I can and cannot truly play with. I am traveling for the next few weeks for my company so the truck is sitting comfy in the garage till I get back.

My needs:

- Would love 2 10"s in either seperate boxes or a joined/shared airspace box (would like the amp to sit between them if seperate, otherwise mounting the amp goes behind the rear seats)
- Need to know what I can get away with in terms of box and subs underneath the rear seats. I am ok with a downfiring or upfiring position but that also depends on the subs as well if they should be either or face outwards.

Amps/Mids and Highs and Double DIN head units are things I am shopping for, those for me are easy to nail down however.

Any suggestions or input from anyone is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 PM
What's your budget for this? And definitely go downfiring/upfiring it'll have more output than having them face towards you or the back of the truck.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
What's your budget for this? And definitely go downfiring/upfiring it'll have more output than having them face towards you or the back of the truck.
I am fairly well open to considering budget. I really do not want to do any seat lifting unless I truly have to (installing those lifts to bump up a few inches). I did look at a company off to the left of the forums who does custom boxes at a fair price (I am not a wood working savvy kinda guy). I know there are some custom speaker makers who aren't mainstream that have great products but I have been outta touch w/ car audio for so long I would be in the dark or spending months reading up to just get relatively up to speed.

If I could get them on Ebay all the better since I do prefer gray market pricing versus retail. I am not interested in competition sound/products.

Appreciate the reply and looking forward to chatting soon!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Any reason with going with 2 10's over a single 12 or even two 12s?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Any reason with going with 2 10's over a single 12 or even two 12s?
I am not against 2 12"s, I've had dual 10"s which I was just happy with at that time. A pair of decent 12"s as long as they fit w/ proper box specs I would totally be open to also.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Shallow 12" Alpine Type R's, done.

Unless you wait for the new BMs.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Exactly what I was gonna say^. Beat me to it

Trending Topics

Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Shallow 12" Alpine Type R's, done.

Unless you wait for the new BMs.
You are in line now w/ folks suggesting the shallow R types and that they hit fairly straight on, so thank you to you and Pizza for confirming that even more.

2 Things:

BMs? and For the type Rs, the supercrewsound has pre fab'd boxes that they build per their website to spec, not bad considering I am not a wood worker savvy guy nor do I have all the tools to work w/ MDF part. board etc etc. Should I give them a whirl or just have a local speaker shop build the boxes?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 AM
I run 2 shallow mount Rockfords in a prefab box under the rear seat. I love them.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by F150Wrathful
BMs? and For the type Rs, the supercrewsound has pre fab'd boxes that they build per their website to spec, not bad considering I am not a wood worker savvy guy nor do I have all the tools to work w/ MDF part. board etc etc. Should I give them a whirl or just have a local speaker shop build the boxes?
The BM is a custom 12" speaker built by Stereo Integrity (www.stereointegrity.com). It is similar in physical dimensions to the Alpine but requires less airspace, has a tad more output, and also better sound quality thanks to superior parts and motor technology (xbl2 gapped). However, the BM is not in production right now and won't be for a while. The Alpine is an excellent choice and also sports better motor design (underhung) than most mainstream offerings.

I am always a fan of custom built boxes since they will always fit and perform the best, but that's not to say pre-fab enclosure cannot work well. I have no experience with the supercrewsound stuff but if you are confident it will work for your application then don't hesitate.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I try to build all my boxes myself also, but supercrew sound from what I've seen on here has some pretty good reviews. Just make sure the box your looking at has the airspace the sub you choose requires or a little less. You can trick the sub into thinking there's more airspace if you stuff the box with polyfill but you can't take it away if the box is too big.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM
I try to build all my boxes myself also, but supercrew sound from what I've seen on here has some pretty good reviews. Just make sure the box your looking at has the airspace the sub you choose requires or a little less. You can trick the sub into thinking there's more airspace if you stuff the box with polyfill but you can't take it away if the box is too big.
Curious and slightly off topic.. But how does adding polyfill trick a sub into thinking there is more air than given in any box? I have never heard this and it intrigues me.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 AM
http://www.klausaudio.com/subwoofer-...woofer-box.php

That'll explain it better than I ever could haha

Old 09-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Nice read on that and good to know the alternative from a craft dept in a box store can be used as well. Plus the fact that one can put as much as they like inside the box till the sound is acceptable to the owner is even better.

Quick Reply: Pondering subs and boxes