LAST SUB BOX for an Alpine SWR-T12

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAST SUB BOX for an Alpine SWR-T12

well I picked up one of FX44AU's swr-t12s and started on the box yesterday. i figured i'd post a few pic as I go, along with posting the dimensions and such to help save others some time trying to figure out box dimensions. I swear this is the last box im building for this truck, 4th times the charm! I believe I've gotten alot better at it since the first build. anyway, the box is for 1 swr-t12 as i stated and will have a mouting dept of 4" max at the shallow part and just under .75 cu ft after sub displacement. the box is made of all 1/2" mdf other than the 3/4" mdf sides with a floor clearance of 1.5" and an overall length of 28".

dimensions are what i have figured at this point in the build

and here's some pics of the progress

im almost out of wood glue and have heard of others sealing theirs with liquid nail. is that a good substatution? i have liquid nail by the cases so if its not a problem, i'll just finish up with it. but if it's not as strong or something, i'll go pick up some more glue.

criticism, tips, and comments welcome

Old 03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Liquid nails is fine.
Post results. I have a dual 10" box from supercrew for my 07 stuffed w 1043 alpines and 1000watts and im not impressed at all

Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Looks ilke you thought this out pretty well. My only critizism, would be that you used 1/2 in MDF for the longer sides of the box, and used the thicker MDF for the short sides. Most 12's recoomend 3/4 all around...but if you couldnt i would have used the 1/2inch on the sides and 3/4 on the rest. I'd use wood glue for the entire box...its the wood glue that actually gives the joints its strength, and then use silicone bead around every joint inide the box. Wait at least 24 hours BEFORE putting your sub in b/c the fumes from the silicone has been know to deteriorate speaker surronds

Old 03-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
Wait at least 24 hours BEFORE putting your sub in b/c the fumes from the silicone has been know to deteriorate speaker surronds
I've never heard that before, thanks for the heads up! i usually wait for the glue to dry anyway, but still nice to know. as far as 1/2" wood, i needed to use it to get the correct mounting depth with the correct amount of ground clearance as well. braces will help the 1/2 mdf....and i figured glue would prolly be stronger, but liquid nail seems to work for others. i will most likely stick with wood glue, but still wanted to see others opinions

Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm sure you wont notice a diffrence...but what you couldhave done for the bottom piece that old the sub was use 3/4inch and then router out 1/4 inch for the basket rim of the sub so that it would mount 1/4 higher....but by using the 3/4 inch wood you added much more rigidity which is what yuo want with a box....the stiffer and "more dead" a box is the better base response you will get...hence why ppl use MDF....medium "density" fiberboard. We used to use HDF some times too... wood glue is king with these boxes...ample amounts of glue, taked with small nails from an air gun......and wait 24 hours.....the glue is as strong if not stronger then the wood itself.The nails are just used for the initial hold together, after the glue dries the nails are really add no support what so ever.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:57 PM
here it is finished up, along with my amp mounted. after i put the box under the seat, the weight of the box made the carpet sink down a little and the sub was too close to the floor for comfort, so i added a 1/2" piece to the front of the legs. gives me the clearance i needed and still doesnt pick the seat up.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Nice setup, looks good. How much louder is the 12 compared to the 8?

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by ErikShockey
Nice setup, looks good. How much louder is the 12 compared to the 8?
thanks, the 12 is a lot louder. its one of the hardest hitting subs that i've owned. its by far the best shallow mound sub that i've ever heard, but i've never had a chance to hear the stereo integritys. it hits harder the the 8" solo baric L7 i use to have as well. sounds great!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Sweet install. I own the SI and have demo'd the Alpine in a truck. The output of the alpine is right on par with the BM, very similar. BM has a bit better low-frequency extension, and I recommend you stuff your box with ~.6 pound of poly-fill to help the Alpine with extension. You will like the difference.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Sweet install. I own the SI and have demo'd the Alpine in a truck. The output of the alpine is right on par with the BM, very similar. BM has a bit better low-frequency extension, and I recommend you stuff your box with ~.6 pound of poly-fill to help the Alpine with extension. You will like the difference.
thanks for the tip, where do i find the poly-fill?

Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Any craft store like Michael's should carry it, super cheap maybe a couple bucks for a 1 pound bag. Use a ratio of 1 pound of fill per 1 cubic foot of airspace in your box.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Walmart has it too, in the craft section.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
What was the angle you ended up cutting to butt up against the 7.5" board?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by ErikShockey
Walmart has it too, in the craft section.
ahh thats more like it! wally world lmao

Originally Posted by stompy
What was the angle you ended up cutting to butt up against the 7.5" board?
to be honest, im not real sure. i cant figure out what the hell i did with my angle finder after the first angle i cut, so i cut 2 smaller pieces until i got the right angle. dont even remember what i set the saw to. i've been looking for it so when ever i find it i'll stick in on there and let you know. sorry lol

Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 AM
do you know the internal volume of this box?
Im looking to use this sub in a .73 sealed box and wondering how it will sound

Quick Reply: LAST SUB BOX for an Alpine SWR-T12