1998 F150 SuperCab System Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 F150 SuperCab System Installation

Hello.

I am a bit new to audio system's in general. My f150 has enough space under the back seat's to hold a cabinet with two 10's(i believe).
Now what i would like to know is:

1) Will I need an aftermarket amplifier, or is there one in the truck that I could use.
2) Is there a wiring, or audio system outline that show's where everything is, or is that somewhere in the Audio system book that came with the truck.

3) Where do I get started.

I am a complete n00b when it comes to car's and audio.

Any help, or a point in the right direction would be greatly accepted.

Thank's in advance for any help.

--Tyler

Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

do you have an idea of the subs you want to run? you will need an aftermarket amp and id suggest a mono channel amp with an rms voltage over what the subs require

also youll probably have to lift your rear seat up to fit them under it in a box with enough airspace. (tried to get mine under there)

the wiring is fairly simple and a diagram will be in the box with the amp most likely.

do you have an aftermarket radio now? youll want one

Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I am currently without any of the required equiptment. I am wondering though, as im guessing you have done something alone the lines of this, what kind of Amp should I get. Alone with an aftermarket radio, and sub's type.

I was thinking of putting two ten's in the back, and maybe putting the amp in the middle(bad idea??). I have seen people who put the amp under the passenger seat also.

If I put the subs in the back, what would be the best way to wire it, should I just do it under the carpet, or run it along the trim to wherever the amp will be located.

Aftermarket radio:
Im guessing this is how it would be on all car's, as my sister has an escape with a Pioneer in it. It is slimlined, and the stock is huge(tall) so there would be a random stash slot put below/above the radio. I am wondering if there is a housing that is specific to the F150, or that comes with the radio so that it will fit in the current radio spot?

If anything is confusing, please feel free to pick on me. Im confusing myself a little bit
Thanks you,
--Tyler

Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 AM

well your gonna need

-aftermarket head unit preferably with sub pre out
-subs
-amp
-box
-wiring kit.

heres some pics of my current set up (old pics)

pionner head unit with dash kit and cubby like you say

amp is under the driver seat and the wires are run along the door sill and then under the floor to the amp

back seat has a 12 disc changer and satellite radio box under it both connected to the radio

back seat out for swap but the wires run from the amp under the floor to the side panel on the driver side then along the back wall to the middle of the back seat

then the sub box with 2 10's in it

my amp iirc has 800 watts rms which pushes my subs very nicely
headunit is
pioneer premier deh-580mp (several yrs old)
audiobahn A8000t amp (also old)
and 2 10" kicker comp cvt subs

you really need to pic a radio and subs then an amp to fir the subs

Old 03-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Sounds good.

I have one question, for your Pioneer head unit, did the little storage space come with the radio, or bought separately.

And then kinda a dumb question, where did you get your hardware. Did you buy from a chain like Best Buy, online, or something like Mother's here in Austin.

--Tyler

Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 AM

the cubby is the dash kit needed to install the radio. i have an extra one listed in the classifieds pages back now hah but you can get them anywhere real cheap.

i bought the main components off ebay buy it now cuz they were alot cheaper and ive had no problems. did the install myself to save money and bestbuys dont always do good work.

youll need an amp install kit as well but if you go to a local car stereo shop (non chain) theyll help you out with every little piece you need and then id look online to see about price differences and then if you want to install it yourself or not. (or drive to cs and ill install it)

Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 AM
I think I can do it on my own. If I ever run into any problems I can always drive on down the road to Mothers, and Johhny can help me out.

Maybe once I get it installed, ill hit you up on my way to New Orleans XD.

--Tyler

Trending Topics

Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 AM
How did you get the back of the back seat off. I've looked all over this sight but all the remove the back seat post are for newer trucks. Mines a 97 looks just like yours.

Also I have 2 10's in a box under the seat. Had to take the bottom of the seat off and put washers under it to raise it about 1" or 1"1/2 but need to raise it another 1/2".

Old 03-09-2010, 01:36 AM

I cant remember if the bottom has to be taken out or not but i dont think it has to be. but there are two bolts located where the red circles are. remove them and then lift up and itll come out.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Dude that rubber floor is dirty

Old 03-09-2010, 01:39 AM

your just jealous

Old 03-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Yeah maybe a little.. My carpet is super clean tho! Only took pressure washing it like 5 times

Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I have another question. Why would I choose a mono amplifier over the alternative?

It is better, or is it just easier to work with?

Thank You,
Tyler

Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM

you only need 1 channel to run the subs so no sense in paying for added channel features when its not needed.

btw gonna plug myself. im selling my sub setup and might have the box sold today if your interested in them

Old 05-27-2010, 10:27 PM
well i actually just got a 200watt vR3 amp and already have the sub. Now all I need is a head unit to complete it all.

Thanks for the offer though

--Tyler

Quick Reply: 1998 F150 SuperCab System Installation