full range speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question full range speakers?

what can you tell me about the Kicker SS120? I recently came in to possession of them and dont really know much about them. Thought they were subs at first.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The only use I can see for a large 2-way setup like that would be to fill a concert hall, or play some music when you're at the skatepark with your friends. But that's about it. I wouldn't try to use the woofers in a subwoofer installation though. If they are *designed* for this type of application specifically, they may not be able to handle the demands of a true subwoofer system, but that's dependent on the woofers internally (like voice coil diameter, motor size, cooling ability, power handling, and other factors that I'm sure SunDevil2188 or mSaLL150 would know more than me).

Honestly, if you can sell it for enough money to get two actual woofers, I'd go for it. But that's just me.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM
does anyone think an old school orion HCCA 225 is overkill for 4 Kenwood KFC-P680C's?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by adamragland
does anyone think an old school orion HCCA 225 is overkill for 4 Kenwood KFC-P680C's?
Depends on how you wire it.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:08 AM
google doesnt even really give me any type of info on those bad boys. they look like subs from what google images showed. Not really a fan of kicker product so to be honest, i dont really know too much about them.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
google doesnt even really give me any type of info on those bad boys. they look like subs from what google images showed. Not really a fan of kicker product so to be honest, i dont really know too much about them.
The SS120s are woofers built in a box with horn tweeters installed in the box. The tweeters have caps on them, but there is no other means of frequency filtering to the woofers. I'm certain you have seen systems like that, they're not rated to handle a lot of power at all. Yeah I've never been a fan of Kicker myself. Square woofers are nice, but round woofers will always move more air better.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by phattacorider
Depends on how you wire it.
any advice?

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM

any advice?
You'd have to parallel the front and rear driver speakers together, then the front and rear passenger speakers together, and run each side to the left and right channels of the amp. The amp puts out numbers @ 12V, so you'll get more power then what it's rated for. But honestly, I wouldn't bother running all your doors off a 2 channel amp. Run a 2 channel for your fronts and another 2 channel for your rears, or just run a 4 channel for all.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM
i wlaready had the amp and was trying to avoid buying another one. what 4 ch would you recommend?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 AM

i wlaready had the amp and was trying to avoid buying another one. what 4 ch would you recommend?
The majority of amps I'm familiar with are all mainstream. Check through some of the threads, I'm sure someone inquired as to a good 4 channel amp. If anything, I like Alpine MRP amps because they pump plenty of power but don't cost an arm and a leg. They come available as mono channel amps, 2 channel, and 4 channels. Maybe someone can give insight on a less-known brand amp manufacturer who makes a good 4 channel?

Quick Reply: full range speakers?