Center console subwoofer box VS airbag management module

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center console subwoofer box VS airbag management module

If I built a front seat subwoofer enclosure to replace my jumpseat and center console and downfired, per say, a 12" Alpine Type R @ 500Wrms, would I need to worry about my airbags deploying? I know the sensors are not located here, but should I worry about deployment? The design of the enclosure would leave open gaps at the bottom of the box facing the seats about 14" long. It would be slot ported to around 32hz, downfiring, with the port firing at the rear. The reason I'm going with downfiring is because it will help as a theft deterant, and bass usually sound much better when there's enough room to fill low frequency wavelengths. I haven't constructed it yet, but I've been unemployed and bored lately and want to build some enclosures for the fun of it with the tons of 3/4" MDF I have laying around. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! And thanks in advance!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by phattacorider
If I built a front seat subwoofer enclosure to replace my jumpseat and center console and downfired, per say, a 12" Alpine Type R @ 500Wrms, would I need to worry about my airbags deploying? I know the sensors are not located here, but should I worry about deployment? The design of the enclosure would leave open gaps at the bottom of the box facing the seats about 14" long. It would be slot ported to around 32hz, downfiring, with the port firing at the rear. The reason I'm going with downfiring is because it will help as a theft deterant, and bass usually sound much better when there's enough room to fill low frequency wavelengths. I haven't constructed it yet, but I've been unemployed and bored lately and want to build some enclosures for the fun of it with the tons of 3/4" MDF I have laying around. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! And thanks in advance!
Rob;
you will not have an issue doing a center console with the air bag module. This is the processor for the impact sensors. Just make sure the speaker cone does not make contact with the box. This sound like it will be a killer box. Take lots of picks and post them here so we can admire your progress! Take a look at the links I've provided, I did the same thing with (2) 8".

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...humbsup-g.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...r-sub-box.html

Maybe some of my lessons learned will help you with your venture.

Have Fun

Skip

Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 PM

Holy sweetness, so you're the one who built that box!? I've seen that puppy on here before and nearly creamed myself with it! Those subs are sexy! I really considered doing something like that but I have a 12" Type R that I got from my girlfriend's brother who pulled it out of a Navigator, and I can't stitch worth $%&@. The woofer had a hole punched through the cone from being in an accident. I removed the cone entirely to inspect the voice coil for wire scratches. When that looked good, I just poured some resin on and below the cone to give it some strength, carefully making sure it didn't bead up on the voice coil and rub against the magnet (cuz resin smells bad when it's burning, REALLY BAD). I applied some power to it and it worked like a charm, except it's really ugly and needs some spray paint. But I've been wanting to install that woofer in a more practical place than the back seat since it's used when my girlfriend drives me home in it when I'm *cough* hammered *cough cough*, amongst other reasons rofl.

I was going to downfire the woofer (so no one can see the devastation done to the cone), rear fire a slot port, and install a ZX500.1 amp under a sheet of tinted plexiglass on the top of the enclosure with some lighting inside activated by a rocker switch. I'd also have two brushless 12V fans that turn on with the amplifier for induction and exhaust. They'd also be illuminated on a rocker switch with the amplifier lighting (I think everyone's a ricer at heart so try not to laugh at my lighting idea, haha). I'd build a storage compartment as big as stock along with two cup holders. The rear seat would still have access to a fold-down dual cup holder and the 12V DC socket just like in the stock jump seat. I'm still not certain how I'd finish the box, but that'll come when the moment calls for it. I'd make it so it could be bolted to the same 4 points the jump seat bolts to.

I am going to build the enclosure, but installation is still up in the air only because there are those two random days out of the year when my girlfriend wants to go to the park with her sister and her sister's 3 kids and instead of taking 2 cars, just take Uncle Robin's truck where everyone fits inside. But yeah you can bet your keester I'll be taking lots of pictures. More than likely I'll start on the box in the next couple of weeks, install the woofer, then I'll just be waiting for money to get the amplifer and fans.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 AM
skiptemp is right you shouldnt have any problems with the module with a sub down firing on it as long as it doesnt touch.
ive had 4 12"s down firing in mine for a while now in a center enclosure without any problems.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Here's my center console sub box, I was going to use the OEM bracket but it didnt pound as hard as I wanted to so I scrapped it and built an entirely new box as the center console.

Last edited by Bighahn; 01-06-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 AM

That's a sweet box! I've seen that one before on here, I bet it pounds! I would love to have woofers facing the rear but my 5 year old nephew sits back there and kicks the seat already, lol. Also I've always felt that a downfiring woofer sounds better. But yeah I'm thinking about building something like that, just downfiring with a rear-firing slot port.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Yeah I might port it, but I listen to literaly every type of music, and an enclosed box makes all it sound great. lol If I roll down my window just a tad, it shakes your ear drum so damn bad!

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bighahn
Yeah I might port it, but I listen to literaly every type of music, and an enclosed box makes all it sound great. lol If I roll down my window just a tad, it shakes your ear drum so damn bad!
are those 12"s? or 10"s? also, did you keep any dimentions of that box? at least the lower half? lol

Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by skiptemp
Rob;
you will not have an issue doing a center console with the air bag module. This is the processor for the impact sensors. Just make sure the speaker cone does not make contact with the box. This sound like it will be a killer box. Take lots of picks and post them here so we can admire your progress! Take a look at the links I've provided, I did the same thing with (2) 8".

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...humbsup-g.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...r-sub-box.html

Maybe some of my lessons learned will help you with your venture.

Have Fun

Skip
I plan on doing the same thing soon. Do you think you could fit a 10" up front? I only plan on one sub.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kornnut
I plan on doing the same thing soon. Do you think you could fit a 10" up front? I only plan on one sub.
One 10" woofer in a sealed enclosure would be quite simple actually. Are you going to replace your jumpseat?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by phattacorider
One 10" woofer in a sealed enclosure would be quite simple actually. Are you going to replace your jumpseat?
Yeah, I am going to copy skiptemp's box and do 1 10".

Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Bighahn
Here's my center console sub box, I was going to use the OEM bracket but it didnt pound as hard as I wanted to so I scrapped it and built an entirely new box as the center console.

Did you build that yourself?? Looks amazing! If you did think you would be able to do something similar to one with the floor shifter?

Old 01-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Yea in my opinion it would be easier because you dont have to spend all the time to shape th wood to the shape of the floor because you would just make the box continue after the shifter.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Would you be interested in building one?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I dont have anything to test fit it to

Quick Reply: Center console subwoofer box VS airbag management module