who has components on stock HU?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who has components on stock HU?

hi all, im in the process os upgrading my stereo. i am considering installing some clarion componets up front. however, i plan to keep the stock HU for a while. the components need 5-60 watts RMS, so they should work. i dont want to run an amp to the doors either.

i will be installing a 10" sub under the back seat witha 150 watt amp. im not looking to rattle any ears, just have a better sound than stock units have.

so, so you think the components will work? yes or no?

thanks in advance !!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, you are going to have problems... The stock HU does not have the outputs to run audio to the crossovers and power to the crossovers... It would be better just to run coaxial speakers to your doors if you do not to run an amp...

Old 10-11-2009, 01:41 AM
after looking at the pics online for the crossovers, it showed only 6 wire connections.... so i assumed 2 for the input, 2 out for the woofer, and 2 out for the tweeter.....

they also require power and ground? im not trying to sound clueless, but i have never looked at components before.

just trying to get a good game plan before i spend a bunch of money.

thanks again !!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am running JL tr series components off the stock nav in my truck and it sounds really good. turned up there is no distortition and they are just really clean. they just dont like the bass turned up which is fine since your running a sub. with my mtx amped box (1 12 in sub) the bass is at half and for a very budget stereo sounds good.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Mattd17, You do not have to "power" component speakers. What you have to do is take the speaker output from the HU and connect it to the input of the crossover and just run speaker wires from the crossover to the woofers and trweeters. If you want you can cut the stock wire coming from the HU and connect to the crossover input and then come out of the cross over to the woofer with the other end of the stock wire you cut (basically you are putting the crossover in between the HU and door speaker). Then just run a new speaker wire from the tweeter output of the crossover to where ever you have mounted the tweeter. Hope I have not confused you

Old 10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
i have rocksford fosgate components running off my factory head unit without any problems. they are very easy to install. cut the wires off the factory speakers and attach them to the input on the crossover box. all the other wires should come with the speakers. i have my crossover box velcroed on the inside of my door.

Quick Reply: who has components on stock HU?