need advice for building sub box

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice for building sub box

hi all, im about to build my own sub box for under the back seat of my 06 f150 screw. i plan to have it on the driver side, and go over the center hump only far enough to provide the correct airspacing. i already have a kicker comp 10" sub, so i will need about 1 cubic foot of airspace.

now, my dilema is that we are rather llimited here with supplies. i can get 4'x8' sheets of particle board rather cheap. is that any different that MDF? and, does it matter if i go with 1/2" vs. 3/4"? obviously 1/2" will make it easier to fabricate and mount (for spacing issues).

i am going to seal it good with some silicone sealant to make it nice and airtight, so i need to know which is the best route to go with. i just dont want to spend a lot of money of a pre-fab box. plus, i really cant find any that suit my exact need, so i want to do my own.

any help offered is really apppreciated. thanks in advance !!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
If you're going the space-saving sealed route, I would down-fire the woofer. Particle board (for the most part) is a big no-no when it comes to subwoofer enclosures. It flexes easily. You should be able to grab a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" MDF for under $30 at any Lowes, Home Depot or Lumber yard. It's also a lot easier to work with. Especially if you're using screws/brads instead of clamps to hold the box while the glue dries as you'll find how quickly this material splits whether it's predrilled or not. Comps are very entry level drivers taking small amounts of power and creating little pressure so you could get away with 1/2" MDF.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

ive gotten sheets of 3/4 mdf for aroudn 20-25 and they are the best bet for you. they allow enough room to screw into the width of the boards depending on your box shape. ive made 2 boxes so far with 3/4 mdf both for kickers and they sound great. since you have enough roon you should be fine using 3/4 since your only running one sub. use wood glue and screws then silicone all the seams and carpet it and your good to go.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 PM
I used 5/8 mdf for mine. from what I have been told, Particle board will not work. might I suggest you use all the space under that seat. I did exactly what you are doing, but wanted a more complete look when the seat was down and a place to hold my tools from shifting.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Exclamation I cant get .75 cub ft !!! HELP

NO matter how i try to do it i cant get the .75 cub ft. Does anyone have any suggestions or diagrams, my infinty sub calls for the .75 and i want to get max performance out of it, just cant find enough room.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 AM
well i just finished making my box today. i used 3/4" particle board, and it seems pretty stout to me. i used liguid nails, and screwed it all together. i managed to squeeze out just about .75 cubic foot of air space, so im good to go (my kicker 10" comp needs .75-1.0). i will get some pics tomorrow. right now it is drying together good, and im about to order some carpet and a terminal cup from crutchfield so it will be ready to install sometime later this week.

the box takes up the whole space under the driver side portion of the seat, and i am going to make a small tool tray for the remaining space. once i get it covered with the carpet, it will look really nice.

then the next step is to upgrade my door speakers.... im thinking about getting some components for the front, and maybe some pioneer 4-way coaxials for the rear.

then if im still not happy, ill get an aftermarket deck.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Scout19d
NO matter how i try to do it i cant get the .75 cub ft. Does anyone have any suggestions or diagrams, my infinty sub calls for the .75 and i want to get max performance out of it, just cant find enough room.
more details and we can help you can look into some lmi seat lifts that would help alot

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2009, 01:59 AM
stretch the box all the way across and put the sub on the passenger side down firing, that should be more than 1.00 cu ft

Old 10-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Exclamation ??? Ok!

but i built my box and i took it 11.5'" out and 32" long, from the front if you looking at it, and i did 7" hieght in front and 6" back, but my sub wont fit i need more hieght, so what should i do, get seat spacers and if so where do i get them.

Quick Reply: need advice for building sub box