Speaker upgrade with OEM stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2000, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed 2 sets of those Cerwin Vega's in my 99 F150 Ext cab and while I noticed some sound improvement, they sounded a lot better at Best Buy. They don't seem to handle the bass level I was hoping for. I only have a Sony am/fm CD player but I need more bass. Not show-stopping bass, just enough so that I can enjoy more bass oriented music at higher volumes. I'm not very informed when it comes to all this stereo talk, and the salesmen either know nothing, or everything and try to get you to spend $2000. I just need a little more bass, but I'm not willing to give up too much space. Someone please advise me. Cost is somewhat of an issue as well. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2000, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two weeks ago I put my Alpine tape deck in from my last truck and kept the factory speakers in. This last weekend I installed 4 Polk Audio EX 572A factory size speakers. What a difference!

As far as speakers go it is a matter of your personal taste. I listened to Pioneers and the Polks. The Polk's, in my opinion, had better separation between the highs and lows. They didn't sound as muddy. They were $90/pair. It was money well spent. I also bought Dynamats (12 in. x 12 in.) to dampen the vibration around the speakers.

You will not find a 5x7 or 6x8 that is going to give you a good deep bass. They just aren't large enough. Crutchfield's web site is a good place to do your research.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4
5.4L Engine (Built 8/19/99)
Off-Road Package
3.55 Limited Slip
Alpine Stereo/Polk Audio Speakers
K&N Air Filter
Eagle Cap

[This message has been edited by 1stFord (edited 02-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 1stFord (edited 02-28-2000).]

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade with OEM stereo