A few questions about door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions about door speakers

OK so I got my Infinity components for the front doors and a set of 3 ways for the back doors from Crutchfield today.
I'm putting them in my '07 F150 Super-crew cab.

The question is how the heck do you line everything back up to get the door panel back on? I got the crossover mounted out of the way but I can’t get the panel low enough to sit correctly on the door.

Next question...
I have the tweeter mounted in the factory hole however I'm using the smallest bracket that came with it and now the speaker grill will not go back on because the tweeter is too thick.

Last...
I live in California and there is a law that you can't have your GPS mounted in the middle of your windshield anymore. So I used the 3" round disc and used a razor to cut a circle in the little rubber pad and I now have it mounted on my dash that way. I don't like it, I wanted to know if anyone has come up with a different way of mounting a GPS system?

Thank you all for you help.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I didn't take my door apart at all. I popped the cover off for the speakers and then also popped off the armrest piece that holds the window and door lock switches. I put the crossover right under the switches and ran wires down to the speaker from there. Too little too late I assume for you though.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would relocate the crossovers to either the back wall or some where else not subjected to the shock of opening and closing the doors. FTW

Old 02-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Baseballdad
I installed the same infinity speakers as you and I ran into the same problem you did. Not enough grill cleanance. I didn't use that tweeter mounting assembly that you have installed, it makes the tweeter stick out too far as you already know. Look in the box your speakers came in get the other tweeter mounting brackets out. The piece I used is the other silver colored piece, not the one you have installed but the other one that looks similar to it but is flat on the back. I didnt use the other black piece that goes along with it , only the silver piece. If you put the tweeter in the silver piece and hold it up to the hole in your door you'll notice it's only slightly bigger than the hole. If you pop the cover off your power window switches you can try to push it in from the back, it will go in slightly. I took a file and went over the edges of that hole to make it slightly bigger then pushed that silver tweeter mount in from the back as hard as I could until is was super tight in that hole. It may have been tight enough to stay but I thought that with all the vibration it may work itself out so I took some 2 part epoxy and put a little around the edges on the outside where the silver piece meets the door hole. Epoxy doesnt stick to plastic well so before I did this i lightly sanded around the silver piece and door panel where I epoxied with some coarse sandpaper to rough it up and make the epoxy stick better. The stuff I used was called epoxi-patch but jb weld would probably work as well. Mine turned out pretty well and has held up so far from a week of full volume blasting. The only drawback is that its a somewhat permanant mounting job. But the way I look at it is the only thing glued is the tweeter mount, the tweeter can stil be replaced by popping it out of the mount. I'm pretty happy with the infinity components and if i ever need to replace the tweeter chances are I'd buy the exact same kind of tweeter to replace them with and it would pop right in the glued in mount. Hope this helps, I sat there for an hour scratching my head before I came up with doing that. I didnt see any other way.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Baseballdad...do you have the floor mounted shifter or is it on the column?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 AM
i had the same problem when i took my rear doors apart i think there were pinns on the back of the panel that had to line up with holes in the door that was holding me up it was a pain in the *** to put back on and make it not rattle when driving. but you have to get them just right or it wont go down.

Quick Reply: A few questions about door speakers