Need some expert advice..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some expert advice..

I've been searching on here for 3 days now and pretty much made up my mind what I want to do. I just got a Kenwood DPX503 head unit and I'm planning on running a single 12" sub under the back seat. I don't want to do a seat lift or sacrifice the entire underseat area, but I do want it to hit hard.. I'm not completely sold on shallow mounts so I've been looking for a sub with good power handling that needs 6" or less of mounting depth.

I'm not terribly concerned with SQ since I'm probably not going to upgrade speakers, they already sound good enough for me with the new head unit.

What I'm considering so far-

JL 12w1v2
Kicker CVT12 shallow mount
Pioneer Premier TS-W12
Alpine SWE-12

I've read some pretty good reviews about all of these, but the JLs seem to be the favorite sub on this site.

As far as an amp, I haven't really looked too hard, I was hoping one of you guys could give me some suggestions.. I know I definitely don't want to be underpowering the sub, I'm going for most bang for the buck here because I'm pretty much definitely not going to run 2 subs.

I'm really trying to figure this stuff out on my own guys, but I appreciate any help you got.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by MOford21
I've been searching on here for 3 days now and pretty much made up my mind what I want to do. I just got a Kenwood DPX503 head unit and I'm planning on running a single 12" sub under the back seat. I don't want to do a seat lift or sacrifice the entire underseat area, but I do want it to hit hard.. I'm not completely sold on shallow mounts so I've been looking for a sub with good power handling that needs 6" or less of mounting depth.

I'm not terribly concerned with SQ since I'm probably not going to upgrade speakers, they already sound good enough for me with the new head unit.

What I'm considering so far-

JL 12w1v2
Kicker CVT12 shallow mount
Pioneer Premier TS-W12
Alpine SWE-12

I've read some pretty good reviews about all of these, but the JLs seem to be the favorite sub on this site.

As far as an amp, I haven't really looked too hard, I was hoping one of you guys could give me some suggestions.. I know I definitely don't want to be underpowering the sub, I'm going for most bang for the buck here because I'm pretty much definitely not going to run 2 subs.

I'm really trying to figure this stuff out on my own guys, but I appreciate any help you got.
EXILE AUDIO!!!!

The only time the JL is really more of a favorite is using the Stealthbox (W3v2 or W3v3 loaded into JL's ported box).

Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 PM
It's funny you mentioned Exile, I have a friend who has 2 XPE12s sealed in a trailblazer running 1200 watts and they POUND.

I just looked on their site and found the XT12, looks like it's the only one that would fit. Got any experience with their shallows Low? Do you think the XT12 will give me enough boom?

The sub is 3.88 ohms with 300 watts RMS so I'm thinking a good amp for it would be the Exile X300.2, it says 300w RMS @4ohms bridged, so that would be right at what the sub needs, maybe a little more since the sub isn't quite 4 ohms.... if I'm right (kinda new to this but I'm trying)

So what do you think?

I guess I should add price- I'm not wanting to go over 250 really, I've found some good deals online and would be willing to sacrifice a little bit of quality to keep it cheap :o

Last edited by MOford21; 12-28-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Another idea... If 1 12" under the seat isn't going to be that loud, would 2 10" shallows fit behind the seat? Seems like you could get more volume behind the seat and obviously 2 10s would hit harder than 1 12... I really don't know what to do

What do you guys think?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 AM
It's funny you mentioned Exile, I have a friend who has 2 XPE12s sealed in a trailblazer running 1200 watts and they POUND.

I just looked on their site and found the XT12, looks like it's the only one that would fit. Got any experience with their shallows Low? Do you think the XT12 will give me enough boom?

The sub is 3.88 ohms with 300 watts RMS so I'm thinking a good amp for it would be the Exile X300.2, it says 300w RMS @4ohms bridged, so that would be right at what the sub needs, maybe a little more since the sub isn't quite 4 ohms.... if I'm right (kinda new to this but I'm trying)

So what do you think?

I guess I should add price- I'm not wanting to go over 250 really, I've found some good deals online and would be willing to sacrifice a little bit of quality to keep it cheap :o

PICK UP THAT DAMN SUB AND AMP NOW!!!

They are worth it. You already know the quality, just wait for the right stuff.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Theres a guy in town who sells Exile who my friend got his from/installed by, I'm going to talk to him pretty soon and get a price on the XT12 and an amp...

If it ends up out of my price range what do you think about the Pioneer, Kenwood, and Kicker shallows? I've found them online for all around $100 a piece.. The Kicker handles the most power but needs a full cube at minimum, the Kenwood only needs .8 ported or sealed...

I'm just looking for cheaper alternatives, I'm afraid the guy is going to want around 400 for the Exile setup.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:51 AM
NO! Ehh... and no.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Alright talked to my guy today- said 1 12" Exile shallow is 300 alone... + box (70) + amp (300?) + install........ Going to be way more than I want to spend.....

Said he could do 2 Fusion 10's with box and 800 watt amp installed for 499 but I'm not sold on Fusion....

Now I guess I'll see what I can piece together online...

Old 12-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Alright talked to my guy today- said 1 12" Exile shallow is 300 alone... + box (70) + amp (300?) + install........ Going to be way more than I want to spend.....

Said he could do 2 Fusion 10's with box and 800 watt amp installed for 499 but I'm not sold on Fusion....

Now I guess I'll see what I can piece together online...
Go elsewhere for the amp and install. It wouldnt be too hard to do it yourself...

Old 12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah I am going to try and install it myself. The plan is to build a pretty simple box that will go under the drivers side rear seat and hope to get about .6-.8 without a seat lift.

My new plan as of right now is a RF P3 shallow 12" for 130 from Sonic, run 400-500 watts to it, build the box and install myself.. I can probably do all of this for 350 or less I'm hoping...

I know it probably won't sound as good as the Exile, they were definitely the best I've heard (not that I've heard a lot of diff subs). I think the RF is going to give me all I want/need though, for quite a bit less. I knew a girl a while back who had one RF 10" in her Mustang and I think it sounded pretty good.

BTW thanks for all your help so far Low, I'll probably need some more when I start installing

Hmmmmmm.... Here's a question- The P3 shallow 10" only needs half as much space, SPL is rated at 83 db (compared to 86 for the 12").. So which would be better, a 10" with exact recommended space or a 12" close to the lowest recommended space?

Throwing out ideas....

Last edited by MOford21; 12-31-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Alright, finally decided what I'm getting.

Rockford Fosgate P3S 12" DVC 4ohm 400 watts RMS wired down to 2 ohms
Cadence TXA- 750D, 375 watts RMS x1 @ 2 ohm

Last edited by MOford21; 01-02-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some expert advice..