System almost planned - what to finish it with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
System almost planned - what to finish it with?

I'm buying a Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor

Outside will be 100% stock, aside from some 20% tint... white with black cop steelies, etc. Everything I'm doing to it will be interior and audio/video. I am starting with an all-new system, no used/pieced together stuff like my Jetta. I want to have a top notch system within a REASONABLE budget. Sub-$2000.

So far I picked up 2 Boston Acoustics G5 12's, 4ohm SVC 450w RMS with Crutchfield's buy one, get one free promotion. I am building a custom box that will sit in the spare tire well of the trunk with the two subs upfiring (1 sq. foot air space each, sealed) on each side and the 2 amps (a mono + a 2/4 channel) under plexiglass in the middle. I have never built a box before but have enough experience with it now and a tendency to be a major perfectionist so I think it will come out pretty nice. Everything will be measured and drawn out in SketchUp before the final product is built.

I am thinking of an Alpine V-Power MRP-M1000 amp to push them. I have always liked Alpine amps and it fits the bill perfectly as far as powering these is concerned. My amps will be fed by a run of 0ga KnuKonceptz wire into a distribution block and 4ga Knu to the amps. What I need is a 4 channel (any brand) to power my door speakers, and recommendations on what to put in the doors. I also have no idea what to do for a head unit as of right now, either. Probably a double din with a touch screen of some kind.

What should I finish this with? Thanks.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Alpine F600: 100x4
maybe some polk or type R comps. i really like the type rs for the price
kenwood DDX512 hu: great touchscreen and its only about $500 on ebay

Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Personally, since you seem to be headed in the SQ direction, I would go with a smaller 4 channel Alpine for the fronts only, with 2 channels powering tweets and 2 channels powering the mids, and run the rears off the deck power or a small 2 channel amp. Might save you some money and likely sound better.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by hen23
Personally, since you seem to be headed in the SQ direction, I would go with a smaller 4 channel Alpine for the fronts only, with 2 channels powering tweets and 2 channels powering the mids, and run the rears off the deck power or a small 2 channel amp. Might save you some money and likely sound better.
x2, but keep in mind that if you do this you will want to get a HU that is good for active processing (unless you want to buy an external processor).

Also leave some room in your budget for proper sound deadening. Your equipment will only sound as good as your install work, so make sure to get the best out of your system's potential.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 AM
I thought about that, but the rears will still distort when I turn it up if they are run off the head unit. I want everything to be amped one way or another, but I don't really want three amps either. The key here is SQ absolutely, I want it to be crystal clear at any volume with no distortion, but still pound when I want it to. My Jetta had 2 Rockford Punch 12's (cheap ones) in a sealed pre-fab box powered by an Alpine MRP-M650 and it was plenty for me bass-wise, albeit kind of sloppy. My biggest complaint was that the door speakers (Alpine Type-S front, JBL GT Series rear) couldn't keep up when run off the head unit and generally just sounded bad at higher volumes.

I was thinking of the Alpine 600 to go along with the 1000, seems to be a good way to go and it will be a really clean install with 2 amps that look essentially the same and have the same dimensions (based on the ones I was eyeing at Best Buy last night). Not sure if I want to go with Type-R door speakers, I was hoping to go with something a little bit more unique. This is a stupid reason, but I'm a 16-year-old kid in high school... EVERYONE has "2 Type-R 12's, and Type-R door speakers run off the head unit mmmaaannn". I know Alpine makes great stuff but damn if the Type-R stuff is so over-used around here. Wouldn't be opposed to Polk or something along those lines as long as they are high-quality and relatively cheap... under $500 for the door speakers.

I am just looking at all this realizing I will likely exceed my budget, but that's okay as I don't have any real expenses aside from my car anyway The trunk will get Dynamat, for sure. Probably the doors, too. Is there any cheaper alternative of something I can put on the floor? The interior is getting gutted anyway and swapped for Lincoln Town Car leather seats, carpet, dash etc. anyway so that would be the time to do it. Can I use roll-on truck bed liner or something? I know it won't be as good but if it's cheap and quick/easy to do I wouldn't be opposed to doing that if it will help some.

Thanks and any suggestions are welcome. I believe the door speakers are 5x7.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:47 PM
RAAMmat, eDead, there are a few

Old 11-23-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by F-150_Octane
I thought about that, but the rears will still distort when I turn it up if they are run off the head unit. I want everything to be amped one way or another, but I don't really want three amps either. The key here is SQ absolutely, I want it to be crystal clear at any volume with no distortion, but still pound when I want it to. My Jetta had 2 Rockford Punch 12's (cheap ones) in a sealed pre-fab box powered by an Alpine MRP-M650 and it was plenty for me bass-wise, albeit kind of sloppy. My biggest complaint was that the door speakers (Alpine Type-S front, JBL GT Series rear) couldn't keep up when run off the head unit and generally just sounded bad at higher volumes.

I was thinking of the Alpine 600 to go along with the 1000, seems to be a good way to go and it will be a really clean install with 2 amps that look essentially the same and have the same dimensions (based on the ones I was eyeing at Best Buy last night). Not sure if I want to go with Type-R door speakers, I was hoping to go with something a little bit more unique. This is a stupid reason, but I'm a 16-year-old kid in high school... EVERYONE has "2 Type-R 12's, and Type-R door speakers run off the head unit mmmaaannn". I know Alpine makes great stuff but damn if the Type-R stuff is so over-used around here. Wouldn't be opposed to Polk or something along those lines as long as they are high-quality and relatively cheap... under $500 for the door speakers.

I am just looking at all this realizing I will likely exceed my budget, but that's okay as I don't have any real expenses aside from my car anyway The trunk will get Dynamat, for sure. Probably the doors, too. Is there any cheaper alternative of something I can put on the floor? The interior is getting gutted anyway and swapped for Lincoln Town Car leather seats, carpet, dash etc. anyway so that would be the time to do it. Can I use roll-on truck bed liner or something? I know it won't be as good but if it's cheap and quick/easy to do I wouldn't be opposed to doing that if it will help some.

Thanks and any suggestions are welcome. I believe the door speakers are 5x7.
If you fade the rears way back they wont distort.

But forget rear fill, it sucks for SQ. Focus on your front stage. If you want solid SQ you MUST deaden the crap out of the doors. This will reduce rattling and provide much stronger midbass.

You want something nobody else has? Look into components sets by Image Dynamics, Hertz, Dynaudio, DLS, Rainbow, or Focal... the REALLY good stuff that when installed properly will sound incredible. Get 6.5" components, you can create baffles for the 5x7 opening to fit the 6.5" woofers. They will sound MUCH better than any 5x7 you can get.

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 PM
What's wrong with rear fill? Are you saying given the choice, cost and extra effort aside, you would rather run nothing in the rear doors? IMO if all 4 are amped and set up properly it would be better than 2. Yes, you're not sitting in the back seat but it doesn't mean you can't have speakers back there. Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know enough about it. Just seems almost halfassed to me.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by F-150_Octane
What's wrong with rear fill? Are you saying given the choice, cost and extra effort aside, you would rather run nothing in the rear doors? IMO if all 4 are amped and set up properly it would be better than 2. Yes, you're not sitting in the back seat but it doesn't mean you can't have speakers back there. Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know enough about it. Just seems almost halfassed to me.
Rear fill pulls the sound stage behind you.

When you are at a concert, where is the stage? Not behind you, its up front. Without rear fill it sounds MUCH better IMO. Im in college and have people in the truck all the time, and i have no rear fill. Nobody has ever complained about a lack of sound in the backseat. Its not about cost or extra effort, i take that money saved from no rear fill and put it toward making the front stage as strong as possible.

Try turning off your rear speakers for a while and see how you like it.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Well, what if the concert stage rotates and does all sorts of crazy crap?!?!? That was HELL OF A SHOW!!!!

Rear fill = FTMFL

Old 11-24-2008, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Well, what if the concert stage rotates and does all sorts of crazy crap?!?!? That was HELL OF A SHOW!!!!

Rear fill = FTMFL
Im jealous. The last metalica concert i went to was ridiculous. It was in a dome and you couldnt see even halfway across from all the smoke and haze from people smoking pot. I had to throw away those clothes i wore, i could never get the smell out. It was an amazing show.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Im jealous. The last metalica concert i went to was ridiculous. It was in a dome and you couldnt see even halfway across from all the smoke and haze from people smoking pot. I had to throw away those clothes i wore, i could never get the smell out. It was an amazing show.
What tour was that? Was it the St. Anger tour? Cause I saw that as well...

But this show was insane with the way it was setup. I know they are on their way back to Cali. See if theres a ticket open, its worth it.

Quick Reply: System almost planned - what to finish it with?