Cubic Ft and Different sizes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cubic Ft and Different sizes

Ok you have a sub that is considered to be best for a sealed enclosure.. It calls for .95 to 1.25 cubic feet of air space.. Your box only has .75 cubic feet of air space... Oh well.. So you decide to build another box and you go .95 cubic feet + 20% for your sub... Will the sound change depending on wether your box is shallow and wide verses a rectangular box with the same cubic feet of air space.. I am looking at building a box that is very wide , and about 15 inches high .. by a depth of 7 inches .. basically is 1 cubic foot / 1 cubic foot no matter what the shape of the box is , and will it sound as good

Old 11-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by FX4_2003
Ok you have a sub that is considered to be best for a sealed enclosure.. It calls for .95 to 1.25 cubic feet of air space.. Your box only has .75 cubic feet of air space... Oh well.. So you decide to build another box and you go .95 cubic feet + 20% for your sub... Will the sound change depending on wether your box is shallow and wide verses a rectangular box with the same cubic feet of air space.. I am looking at building a box that is very wide , and about 15 inches high .. by a depth of 7 inches .. basically is 1 cubic foot / 1 cubic foot no matter what the shape of the box is , and will it sound as good
For the most part.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:23 PM
thanks Red .. I am going to give it a shot .. If it sounds bad I am only out 20.00 or so for the mdf and glue and screws ... I 'll let you know the result.. Also BTW finally got my gains set right.. I took it to a friend , he used a tone cd and a volt meter to get it set and it sounds 110% better.. Thanks for the help..

Old 11-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
For the most part.
it will change, from my experience, the smaller the box the tighter the bass, the bigger the box the looser and louder the bass

Old 11-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by abervintageman4
it will change, from my experience, the smaller the box the tighter the bass, the bigger the box the looser and louder the bass
That wasnt the question.

The question was "is one cube the same (sound wise) if its thin and wide vs. square."

Quick Reply: Cubic Ft and Different sizes