Adding a sub, for a newb.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a sub, for a newb.

My head hurts like hell fellas. I've been reading through threads for the past few hours trying to figure out the deal with adding the factory sub to the factory units. I'm perplexed that I could possibly have a sub sitting under my rear seats thumping to some Tool on the cheap. SO, here is my situation. I have just the factory head unit with iPod hookup. I've searched, and against my rational judgement, cut the carpet in the back of my truck searching for this elusive sub plug, to no luck. From what I have gathered, you apparently NEED (?!) to have the Audiophile HU to make this work since apparently it has the sub output on it. I have not yet taken my HU out to see what it has if anything.
Cutting a long story short, if I have the plain jane head unit on my XLT SCrew, is it even remotely possible to hook up this Factory sub which everyone is selling for so cheap to my HU? Is a Line Out Converter possible? I know this topic has been beatin worse than a ten dollar hooker, but my audio knowledge is limited with these trucks.

2008 F150 XLT SuperCrew

Last edited by JRM03; 05-04-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

to be honest with you, the stock audiophile subwoofer is pretty weak. 6.5s can put out more bass.

I would get an aftermarket 10" woofer and a small amplifier and use a LOC, it will provide a MUCH better low end.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Scosche makes an LOC with gain adjust on them, is that a plus? http://cgi.ebay.com/Scosche-80w-LOC8...2em118Q2el1247
I know this isn't the best resort to purchasing audio, but I can't afford a new head unit yet. If I was smart I would have taken out my old HU in the truck I traded in.
I am currently looking at other alternatives to get an idea. Ebay has a few powered setups to consider as well.

Last edited by JRM03; 05-04-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
to be honest with you, the stock audiophile subwoofer is pretty weak. 6.5s can put out more bass.

I would get an aftermarket 10" woofer and a small amplifier and use a LOC, it will provide a MUCH better low end.
+1

The audiophile sub is cool to have driving your truck off the dealership lot, but there's no way in hell I'd pay money to put in my truck after the fact (although technically I paid money to have it in there in the first place).

You could replace the door speakers and amp them and get just as much if not more output.

Quick Reply: Adding a sub, for a newb.