In Bed Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Bed Speakers

I know this has been brought up before and I did a search but I have a quick question.

When using the SPDT switch to put some tunes in my bed, I need to know if i can hook up 2 sets of speaker to 2 channels on my amp and have the same RMS power to whichever set is running?

Does anyone understand what Im saying or should I try to explain it better or draw a picture??

Old 09-23-2007, 12:41 AM
I think that would work, but wouldn't you need two DPDT switches? One for each + and -.

Last edited by alfack; 09-23-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I think you might be correct alfack but I have no idea. Sorry, I need some major help.

Last edited by MattStrauss; 09-23-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Im using this picture from another thread as reference. So I could use one amp right? And do this to both sets of speakers?

Instead of "from radio" it'd be from amp...

Old 09-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wire it up like in that pic. Impedence presented on the amp, as well as power to the speakers, will be the same.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Just to clarify, that looks like one side, say back left speaker. If I want to do this to every speaker so I have 4 in bed speakers will I need 2 SPDT switches, 4 SPDT switches, 2 DPDT or 4 DPDT switches??

Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 PM
and the wire on top of "from radio" would be the wire originally going to the positive inside speaker?

Anyone wanna draw a pic in paint for me??

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by MattStrauss
Just to clarify, that looks like one side, say back left speaker. If I want to do this to every speaker so I have 4 in bed speakers will I need 2 SPDT switches, 4 SPDT switches, 2 DPDT or 4 DPDT switches??

Yes, that would be one original speaker, and one bed speaker there...could be a back left like you said.

If you want this for every speaker you will need either four SPDT switches, or you could get two DPDT switches and run say the fronts off one switch and the rears off the other.

and the wire on top of "from radio" would be the wire originally going to the positive inside speaker?
Yes.

Hers what you would do. Find the positive wire for your speaker and cut it in half. Now with two wires, the one from the amp would go to the INPUT on the switch, and the other wire that now goes only to the speaker would be on one of the OUTPUTS of the switch. Next you will need to run a new wire from the other OUTPUT on the switch to the new speakers positive.
Then run a wire directley from the stock speakers negative to the new speakers negative.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:28 PM
So the negative wire is like the picture or do i not run a negative from the amp at all?

Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 PM
which one is correct, top or bottom speaker. All boxes are SPDT for now. Is this even right? Assume the same for back speakers.

Please forgive me, I did this in 3 minutes on a laptop.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Sorry, one last question and I'm done (besides the wiring one above).

How do I mount the switches??

Old 09-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Wire it like this.....Your first one looks right though if Im following it right.
The only difference between these two is where the Negative wire for the bed speaker is tapped into, since it doesnt matter. You can either run it from the inside speaker (top pic) or straight from the amp (bottom pic)

This is with a SPDT switch too, each pic (top and bottom) is for ONE channel on the amp (one inside, one outside speaker)

As far as mounting the switches, most of the time you just need to find a flat place, drill a hole, then stick the switch in from the back side, just like any toggle switch.
I couldnt tell you where to mount them, wherever you think works best. Could run them all up to a spot hiddin under the dash, or mabe under the back seat...I dunno.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:40 PM
I always get these sorta confused, but if you look at this link, it might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DPDT#A_...ctrical_switch

From these pics, it looks like you would need 4 SPDTs or 2 DPDTs, since each switch would have 2 + and 2 - in and one + and 1 - out. The switch, depending on which position it was in, would then either be inside the cab or outside.

NM, I didn't take into account that you don't have to wire the ground to the switch...

Last edited by alfack; 09-23-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:33 PM
I assume since I have front comps I use the posative wire to the crossover input and not the woofer?

Old 09-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by MattStrauss
I assume since I have front comps I use the posative wire to the crossover input and not the woofer?

Yessir.

I also though of something else. You could just run the bed speakers directley off the HU since the rest of your speakers are ran off the amp.
Would need 4 SPST switches so they are either on or off, or two DPST switches.

The inside speakers would be on at the same time unless you pulled a fuse or the turn on wire for the speaker amp though if it mattered.

Quick Reply: In Bed Speakers