help with LOC

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with LOC

ive searched the threads, havent found what im looking for:

on my previous system, i had kept the stock sub in, so i had just wired the LOC (RCA jack thingy) to my stock sub's wires, and it was perfect because those wires to the stock sub got all the low frequency notes, perfect for my sub amplifier. now i took the stock sub out and replaced it with my new one, and this time wired the LOC to my rear door speakers. the sub plays but there is not low signal. it seems any notes below ~80Hz barely comes in, and i have to turn the amp wayy up to even hear them. Where is the best place to wire my LOC to recieve the lower spectrum notes for my amp?!?!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any Ford system with a sub that I know of is like that. Speakers are high passed around that 80ish hz mark.

We've played with it some in my buddies Expedition and I believe the crossover is in the HU, so there is no way to get any lows from the speaker wires.
Only thing that I know of is to stay tapped into the factory sub wires.

Im not sure what the Audiophile units are like, but is the factory amp part of the box that you took out?? I assume so since you didnt stay tapped into the factory sub speaker wires???

Im not sure if the factory signal wires for the amp are high or low signal. If they are high level you should be able to tap into them before the stock amplifier.

I might have been dreaming also, but I swear one time I saw a harnes that you could plug into the back of the stock HU's sub out and it would turn it into RCA jacks so you could just run a pair of RCAs back to the amp then.

?????????

Im not much help when it comes to stock integration I just rip all the stuff out and start new.

Stock HU's suck for adding aftermarket when you run into issues like this, not to mention how the start to decrease the bass once the volume is around 2/3 volume and up....

Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 PM

maybe this will help.

so heres where i tapped into originally, this is the wires from the stock amp to the stock sub. it has the negatives and positives for both left and right, and my new sub play perfect when tapped into these, hit every low there is crystal clear:

this next picture is of the wires leading into the stock amp:

take a look at this next one: of all these wires going into the stock amp, which ones should i try: theres two orange and two purple, which i think may be the left and right signals (for both pos and neg) but i have no idea which is which.

this is frustrating, i have no idea how im giong to get low signal to my amp if this wont work...Bartak what do you think?

Old 07-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Sheet, I havent the slightest idea what wires would be what.
Im suprised there are even that many wires going there...I figured there would be a constant power, switched, ground, then a pos and neg input (I wouldnt think there would be a left and right...maybe though )

I would poke around with a test light or DMM if you have one to try and eliminate some of the wires...with a light/dmm you should be able to figure out which wires are the wires for the power and switched, ground should be the all black one on the bottom. That way you will have a better idea.

BUT...now that I see pics, that factory amp looks rather small and detachable from the box. If it were me at this point, I would probably take the amp off the box, cut the stock amp to sub speaker wires, stick it on the back wall of the cab, hook the factory amp back up and then wire your loc to the sub outs on the stock amp......

So in other words, it will be hooked up just like you had it before, you just wont have the stock sub box in there..

Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bartak1
BUT...now that I see pics, that factory amp looks rather small and detachable from the box. If it were me at this point, I would probably take the amp off the box, cut the stock amp to sub speaker wires, stick it on the back wall of the cab, hook the factory amp back up and then wire your loc to the sub outs on the stock amp......

So in other words, it will be hooked up just like you had it before, you just wont have the stock sub box in there..
ya i was thinking about doing this. the stock amp is like 4" x 6" x 1.5", tiny little box i could easily stash behind the seat, and it comes off easily just 4 little allen screws. but if i cut the wires from the stock amp to the stock sub, will the amp still send the signal to the wires even if they dont lead to anything? if it does then the LOC wires should pick up the signal...

i just dont want to cut the wires if its not going to still send signal, because by doing that im basically saying to my stock sub "sorry you will never play music ever again" if you know what i mean...i wouldnt know how to re-attach them.

Last edited by mSaLL150; 07-28-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
ya i was thinking about doing this. the stock amp is like 4" x 6" x 1.5", tiny little box i could easily stash behind the seat, and it comes off easily just 4 little allen screws. but if i cut the wires from the stock amp to the stock sub, will the amp still send the signal to the wires even if they dont lead to anything? if it does then the LOC wires should pick up the signal...

i just dont want to cut the wires if its not going to still send signal, because by doing that im basically saying to my stock sub "sorry you will never play music ever again" if you know what i mean...i wouldnt know how to re-attach them.

Yes, you will still be getting signal from the stock amp, so your LOC will be getting signal.

Just cut the wires right in the middle of the amp and where they go into the box so you have enough slack on both sides. BEFORE you cut them though, make sure they are either all identified differently, OR label them with something that will stay on the wires. That way, when you want to go back to stock, all you have to do is splice the wires back together according to the identification marks you made and your good to go.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:39 PM

well, it worked. i tagged all the wires incase i ever want to return to the stock sub and solder them together. i wedged the stock amp behind the seat/new sub, so you dont even know its there. now my sub plays only the loooowwwwwws and its perfect. thanks for the help bartak.

Trending Topics

Old 07-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Glad its working

Quick Reply: help with LOC