Surrond Sound Effect

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surrond Sound Effect

Im looking for an amp and sub to go in a 05 f150 super crew cab 4X4. Im looking for more of a home entainment surround sound effect than I am raw bass. Any suggestions. I already have my head unit in. Everything else is stock.

Thanks
David

Old 06-18-2007, 12:22 PM
I am a little confused on what you are after. The sub will have nothing to do with surround effect. All it will do is add bass or if you do not cross it over, it will add more volume but, not surround of any kind. Surround sound will require some kind of processor or some eq tricks to provide a simulated surround. I had a full 5.1 Dolby Digital surround setup in my truck with front right and left, center and rear speakers. Along with the sub for the .1 channel. There are a couple of other people on here that have a 5.1 surround system now. You might need to be a little more specific on what you are trying to achieve.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by dconder
I am a little confused on what you are after. The sub will have nothing to do with surround effect. All it will do is add bass or if you do not cross it over, it will add more volume but, not surround of any kind. Surround sound will require some kind of processor or some eq tricks to provide a simulated surround. I had a full 5.1 Dolby Digital surround setup in my truck with front right and left, center and rear speakers. Along with the sub for the .1 channel. There are a couple of other people on here that have a 5.1 surround system now. You might need to be a little more specific on what you are trying to achieve.
What Im trying to achieve is surround sound. I take a lot of road trips in my truck and I would love to have some surround sound for my DVDs. It sounds like what you had was probley what Im after. I truthfully did not know they made a true surround sound system for the truck. If you can tell me what you had individually or if you bought it one system I would be greatful. Also if you can let me know if you installed it yourself or if it was a dealer install.

Thanks
David

Old 06-19-2007, 03:07 AM
plenty of 5.1 units on the market now. How much money you got to burn cause they can run into the $2k range.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by Impact9
plenty of 5.1 units on the market now. How much money you got to burn cause they can run into the $2k range.
I was really looking int he $500-$800 range. What do the system usually consist of? Would I have to replace the head unit I just installed or is there an adapter?

Thanks
David

Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 AM
Suspended
An alpine IVA-w200 or w205 will give you 5.1, and it sounds bitching for movies. They are around $800-1,000 bucks. It plays movies and plenty more. I don't have a center channel, but I still love listening to movies in my truck on my w200.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
An alpine IVA-w200 or w205 will give you 5.1, and it sounds bitching for movies. They are around $800-1,000 bucks. It plays movies and plenty more. I don't have a center channel, but I still love listening to movies in my truck on my w200.
Ive head great things about this unit. The only draw back for me is about a week ago I had a Jensen VM9412 installed. Im wondering if there is an adapter where i can turn this into 5.1 and install a few speakers. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 AM
outputs: two video outputs, 6 channels of 4-volt preamp outputs (front, rear, center, subwoofer)

your can do it with your h/u you just need an amp or two to do it

Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by styxnpicks
outputs: two video outputs, 6 channels of 4-volt preamp outputs (front, rear, center, subwoofer)

your can do it with your h/u you just need an amp or two to do it

Thanks for the advice. I havent messed with speakers, subs, or amps in years. Anyone have any suggestions on brands? Where would be the best pleace to mount the center speaker and sub?

Thanks
David

Old 06-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Like Styx said, all you need are some amps. You will need 6 channels of amp power. There are tons of good amps out there. It all depends on how much you want to spend. You need at least 50 x 5 for the front, center and rear and more is always better. And the sub power depends a lot on the sub itself. I have run as little as 150 watts to the sub and as much as 1,100 watts to a sub. Both with good results.

With that head unit, you could get a center channel from Alpine or Clarion I think that mounts as a single din. Get your self a double din install kit and install the center channel right below the Jensen. Or check mine or Impact's gallery for pics of center channel speakers mounted in the storage tray on the dash.

Subs are mostly mounted under the rear seat, with or without a seat lift.

Last edited by dconder; 06-19-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by dconder
Like Styx said, all you need are some amps. You will need 6 channels of amp power. There are tons of good amps out there. It all depends on how much you want to spend. You need at least 50 x 5 for the front, center and rear and more is always better. And the sub power depends a lot on the sub itself. I have run as little as 150 watts to the sub and as much as 1,100 watts to a sub. Both with good results.

With that head unit, you could get a center channel from Alpine or Clarion I think that mounts as a single din. Get your self a double din install kit and install the center channel right below the Jensen. Or check mine or Impact's gallery for pics of center channel speakers mounted in the storage tray on the dash.

Subs are mostly mounted under the rear seat, with or without a seat lift.
Thanks for the tip. I just seems this is going to be out of my price range.

This isnt realy surround sound but maybe someone can help me with this. Im looking at the highly regaurded Rainbow speakers. Which series would be a step or two up from the stock. Also where is a good place to get them fom with a decent price. Lastly how would they sound with a JL W3V2 10? Or would it be better to go for 2? What amps would you recommend running these with? Something that will keep this $800-$900. Lastly am I looking in the right direction for something with calrity but some deep bass if I need it?

Thanks
David

Old 06-20-2007, 07:18 AM
when installing a system with quality in mind its best to forget your budget. your not going to be able to do a quality 5.1 with 800. hell the wire for my 2.1 setup was 300 alone.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by styxnpicks
when installing a system with quality in mind its best to forget your budget. your not going to be able to do a quality 5.1 with 800. hell the wire for my 2.1 setup was 300 alone.

Thats why I said its going to be out of my price range in the post above and I wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas like the one posted above. Thanks though.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by rednecksims
Thats why I said its going to be out of my price range in the post above and I wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas like the one posted above. Thanks though.
I would consider browsing the car audio forums or ebay for some quality used stuff. That is the only way to get a quality setup for less money. For new stuff, you could look in to Infinity speakers or Polk speakers. Not near the Rainbow quality but, a lot less money and decent. Going with only one sub will save you money. If top notch sound is not your primary goal and surround sound is, you might even consider 5 identical coaxial speakers and one sub. Then you just need the amps to power them. Finding the right amp combination can be tricky. It is hard to do a 5.1 system with only 2 amps. Your best bet is a 4 channel amp for front and rear, a small 2 channel for the center and then a sub amp. I am able to do it with two amps because of the Alpine theater amp. It does 5.1 processing and powers the 5 speakers. I then only need a sub amp and I am done.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:25 AM
I went ahead and bought Polk Momos to got all the way around. Now my question is will a JL 10W3V2 fit in my truck and will I have enough airspace? If so what box would you recommend going with?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Surrond Sound Effect