Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that they are ordered I am getting ready for them but I am freaking out, how are they going to fit? I ordered them baised on what everyone here says but now that I measure a 6.5 wont even fit in the stock location??? Help me out here some good pic are worth a thousand words. I though a little trimming but it seems like a crap load of trimming!!

Old 03-30-2007, 09:10 PM
I think most people have made a spacer out of MDF which they mount the speaker to and then mount the spacer to the factory holes. If you search you should be able to find some threads that describe this.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Stay calm, you'll see that they will fit. The trimming is only going to be on the front plastic door panels. If you pop the speaker covers off you will see the the door panel is molded to the same shape as the factory speakers and comes in direct contact with the door metal. If your 6.5" speakers protrude out any you will need to trim back the molded section of the door panel to provide room for the new speakers to move. I think I cut maybe 1" off.

Oh I should mention that the 6.5" means the entire width of the speaker which incudes the overlaping lip. The basket width is around 5" so unless the speakers you ordered have a unconvetional basket you should be fine.

Sorry I don't have access to the photos right now but I know brypink or dconder have them.

Last edited by Impact9; 03-30-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:23 PM
I have already put new speakers in there (infinity) but a long weekend in Mexico on the beach toasted them. I know how to make a panel/adapter, I was just worried about space. I was wondering if you guys cut all the plastic spacers out and when right to the metal or the MDF on top the the plastic spacer just like you would for a replacement speaker then the new speaker just screwed to the wood. I have seen brypinks pics and thats why I freaked out I didnt want to do that to my door, a little trimming is fine hacking the door is not. Also I dont have the speakers yet but with my tape measure it looks like they wont fit, ill take your word for it but does anyone have some better pics then brypinks?

Old 03-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Okay I just looked up dconder and his install is a bit cleaner but it also looks like the cut all the plastic out so the MDF is mounted directly to the metal in the door someone correct me if I am wrong and it also looks like he cut his MDF way bigger and it looks like he slipped it up behind the door panel some is that the way to make them fit or what? It will probably be a lot easier to under stand when they are here but I just want to get everything ready for them.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:01 PM
yea you put the MDF 1/2-3/4" thick. Best way to do it is go ahead and make the circle cutout for the speaker just slightly larger than the speaker basket. Then cut the outside edge about 1-2" larger than the hole in the door. Mount the MDF then mount the speaker to the MDF.

Now since the speaker sticks out about 1/2" plus the heavier speaker surround will stick out more. So trim the plastic back as much as needed. I used masking tape around the lip to mark off 1/2" increments. You should be good to go then.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Okay I figured out how to ask the question I am trying to get answered reguarding cutting of the door. I keep asking about cutting the plastic and now I know how to ask to get the answer I need. Do you take the whole door pannel off and mount the adapter and speaker to the door then cut the plastic as needed to put the door back on or do you not remove the door pannel at all and just mount them by removing the speaker grill. Sorry for all the questions I just want to do this right the first time.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes. Remove the door panel completely. I did a post a few months back on how to remove the door panels if you want to search my previous post. The thing to remember in these door panels is that there are several plastic fasteners holding the panel to the door. Once you get all the screws, old speakers, and armrest out you'll need to lift up on the panel and pull out. Otherwise you risk breaking the fasteners.

Once you get the panel off mount the speakers on top of your adapter plates to the door metal.

Then trim the speaker hole "tube" in the door panel down to allow the speaker free movement. I used a dremel with a heavy duty cutoff wheel and masking tape for measurement. I really wish I could post pics of me speakers check for dconders post in the amplifers forums and see his gallery. I think he has pictures of his doors cut.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
woops double post

Last edited by Impact9; 04-02-2007 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 AM
thats all i needed I should have asked that first. I kept trying to imagine putting them in with the door on, and couldn't figure how that would work. This makes a lot more sense now thx for the help.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:29 AM
no problem. We all get confused with the names of all these parts from time to time.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lets see pics once you get them in

Old 04-02-2007, 02:56 PM
For sure

Quick Reply: 6.5