New2004 and upo Stealth Box vs. Old One

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New2004 and upo Stealth Box vs. Old One

I am curious as to what you guys think about this. I have the first version.

It's obviously ported. The new version:

isn't ported.

What would be the difference in the sound from one to the other. Also note that it looks like they have the same subs in them.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Last edited by BigDave4; 02-12-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Dave,
I talked to the guy at JL who was in charge of the design and build on the new sealed box. You already know the advantages/disadvantages based on the size(e.g. jack location), but there are some general differences you can expect in sound. A good sealed box will offer a more consistent level of sound at the lower ends than a ported box. That's b/c a ported box is tuned to a frequency by varying the port. However, the ported box will reproduce the frequency to which it is tuned better than the sealed box.

FYI
1)The ported box is being phased out as JL is now only producing the sealed box.
2)One other difference is they were using the 10w3v2 in the ported boxes and they are using the 10w3v3 in the sealed. (per JL tech)

Hope this helps

Old 02-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Im_SCrewed
Dave,
I talked to the guy at JL who was in charge of the design and build on the new sealed box. You already know the advantages/disadvantages based on the size(e.g. jack location), but there are some general differences you can expect in sound. A good sealed box will offer a more consistent level of sound at the lower ends than a ported box. That's b/c a ported box is tuned to a frequency by varying the port. However, the ported box will reproduce the frequency to which it is tuned better than the sealed box.

FYI
1)The ported box is being phased out as JL is now only producing the sealed box.
2)One other difference is they were using the 10w3v2 in the ported boxes and they are using the 10w3v3 in the sealed. (per JL tech)

Hope this helps
Great info. Thanks. Just not sure if it's worth the money to go with the new one vs. a different box and sub. I know I want to do something, but not sure what at this point. I do know I want to avoid the seat lift.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:40 PM
I had a sealed box w/ two 10's in my 03 screw (underneath the rear seat). The subs were in a downfiring position and I gotta tell ya, that setup hit pretty hard. I didn't even have a 2-ch amp hooked up to them (had a 4-ch pushing the subs and the two front door speakers. I can only imagine how harder they would have hit if I had a 2-ch amp pushing them.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7200

I would go with a sealed box ANYDAY.

Quick Reply: New2004 and upo Stealth Box vs. Old One