Bypass Premium Audio Amps

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypass Premium Audio Amps

Hello,

I'm installing a new HU in my 1997 F-150 truck and ran into a snag. Apparently the premium audio system has 2 small amplifiers located behind the dash which the speaker wires are connected too. Does anyone have experience bypassing these without rewiring? I don't mind splicing into the existing harness, but I don't want to use a signal converter thing to connect upstream from the amps because the existing amps are wimpy and I plan on replacing the stock speakers. Any guidance would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 01-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Great choice in upgrading the factory stereo! I didn't realize how much it sucked untill I recently replaced my headunit, and new infinity speakers are in the mail. Anyway, I ordered my deck through crutchfield and they send me what appears to be a standard wiring harness. All I had to do was unplug where the speaker wires come out of the amp and that connection plugs into the wiring harness that Crutchfield sent, which then gets wired into the reciever wiring harness. Basically you just cut the whole factory amplifier out of the system, even though it is still there. This will make more sense when you remove the factory radio and see what is behind there. If your still confused just let me know and I'll try to clarify. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the reply...can you see the amp connectors when you take the stock stereo out or did you have to tear the dash apart to get to them?

Thanks again

Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 PM
I found the amplifier removal section in my factory service manual...finally...it doesn't look hard to do at all. I will be getting a bypass harness.

Quick Reply: Bypass Premium Audio Amps