Sub hitting floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM
weg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub hitting floor

OK, just got my new system in and with my musicmoose box, the sub hits the floor below ~30db. Even off, the surround is just about sitting on the floor in the back. How can they think that the sub will not move at all? I put some spacers underneath it, but no way is my seat coming down. Anybody have any solutions? Im thinking about trying to get a refund and building my own box that is a little more shallow at the back. To me, it just seems as if not too much thought went into the design. I can already tell that I will need to seal it up better, aswell.

FYI It is a Phoenix gold rsd 10 with ~200-250 watts constant.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by weg
OK, just got my new system in and with my musicmoose box, the sub hits the floor below ~30db. Even off, the surround is just about sitting on the floor in the back. How can they think that the sub will not move at all? I put some spacers underneath it, but no way is my seat coming down. Anybody have any solutions? Im thinking about trying to get a refund and building my own box that is a little more shallow at the back. To me, it just seems as if not too much thought went into the design. I can already tell that I will need to seal it up better, aswell.

FYI It is a Phoenix gold rsd 10 with ~200-250 watts constant.
I had the exact same problem with a music moose box and an ED 11Kv2. I sold the box. I hated that. I would send it back and get a refund. There is no way to make it sound as good as it can with the sub hitting the carpet or putting a grill on and having the grill smash the surround.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:50 PM
weg
Originally Posted by dconder
I had the exact same problem with a music moose box and an ED 11Kv2. I sold the box. I hated that. I would send it back and get a refund. There is no way to make it sound as good as it can with the sub hitting the carpet or putting a grill on and having the grill smash the surround.
What did you end up doing, building your own box?

Old 01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
It's not the deepest box, but my Q-Logic box comes nowhere close to hitting the floor. If it's deep enough, you might try it. Also beware, it's kind of "barn" shaped, so it's deep at the center of the sub, but gets more shallow as it goes out. Make sense? Feel free to check out my gallery.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I cant say that Im familiar with the product but possibly a recessing of the baffle? Unfair to have to recontruct something that you paid for and should work, but may be a solution..

Old 01-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
I cant say that Im familiar with the product but possibly a recessing of the baffle?

That's what I ended up doing. I routered out a recess for the sub to fit down into. Then I added the thickness of material I removed underneath. Of course mounting depth is reduced. I used a JL 10W1v2 and it works fine. I don't need or want big bass. I'm thinking of making a reducer ring and going with the JL 8W3v3 when it becomes available or maybe an Arc Audio 8.

I know this probably isn't the solution you were looking for, but I thought I would share my solution just in case others may be interested.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 PM
I had the same problem also with the musicmoose box, the surround was hitting the ground and it eventually ripped within a week. I found out that i did not have the box in properly, make sure the "foot" on the box does not sit into the recess in the floorboard where the backseat bolts to the floor. Shove the box as far to the middle of the truck as possible. It still sits pretty close to the floor but I have the "Donut" Fosgate grill on it. I cut it in half to make sure the air had someplace to go.

Trending Topics

Old 01-26-2007, 11:19 PM
WTF? Why didn't I know this before I bought this box? Grrr.

Now i'm concerned my 2 x JL W6 10" AE's will be a problem. And I don't own a router.. grr

Old 01-27-2007, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
WTF? Why didn't I know this before I bought this box? Grrr.

Now i'm concerned my 2 x JL W6 10" AE's will be a problem. And I don't own a router.. grr
get a black and decker and a set of cheap skill bits. Maybe $60 total. Ebay would be even less.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:30 AM
I bought a ryobi router for that same purpose while trying to cram my SI BM 10" under the seat... That thing(router) is genius! I've used it on almost every woodworking project since.. great investment IMO

Old 01-27-2007, 10:12 AM
To Lowes I go.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:42 AM
So how did you guys do it? Did you cut away some of the carpet, and route a little recess into the wood? How much? 1/2"?

Old 01-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
So how did you guys do it? Did you cut away some of the carpet, and route a little recess into the wood? How much? 1/2"?
I cut the carpet away around the sub. I routed down 3/8" then I added 3/8" of MDF underneath to restore the original thickness.

Work fine with JL 10W1v2 sub.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:28 AM
I went to Home Depot and bought 2 packages of thick washers. I put about 5 washers under each seat frame wear it bolts to the floor. It gave me a 1/2 inch lift. I also went to a local car stereo shop and bought the Kicker hard grille. It's will not colapse. It fits under the seat all the way without any problems and you can't notice the seat lifted like those seat lift kits that look tacky.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by FX4ME2
I went to Home Depot and bought 2 packages of thick washers. I put about 5 washers under each seat frame wear it bolts to the floor. It gave me a 1/2 inch lift. ...... It fits under the seat all the way without any problems and you can't notice the seat lifted like those seat lift kits that look tacky.

Is that as safe though? Hmmm *scratches head*

Quick Reply: Sub hitting floor