New system with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New system with some questions

I pulled the trigger on my new system. I bought everything on ebay and just had a couple of quick questions. I am installing this in my new 06 supercab f150

Here is what I bought:
Pioneer avic-d1
aux in adpater for my sirius and ipod adapter
Kicker 6 1/2 components for the front doors
kicker 6x8 speakers for the rear doors
Dynamat extreme for the doors
mtx thunderform 12" sub
Kicker zx750.5 5channel amp
4ga amp kit with 3 sets of rca jacks

Here is the questions:
-How do the door panels come off, is there any special tools needed?

-Are the 6 1/2" components going to fit without cutting the doors?

- where is a good place to mount the amp?

- Where is a good place to run power wires through the fire wall.

I am trying to get a good roadmap of any issues I might run into.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by bigemike
I pulled the trigger on my new system. I bought everything on ebay and just had a couple of quick questions. I am installing this in my new 06 supercab f150

Here is what I bought:
Pioneer avic-d1
aux in adpater for my sirius and ipod adapter
Kicker 6 1/2 components for the front doors
kicker 6x8 speakers for the rear doors
Dynamat extreme for the doors
mtx thunderform 12" sub
Kicker zx750.5 5channel amp
4ga amp kit with 3 sets of rca jacks

Here is the questions:
-How do the door panels come off, is there any special tools needed?

-Are the 6 1/2" components going to fit without cutting the doors?

- where is a good place to mount the amp?

- Where is a good place to run power wires through the fire wall.

I am trying to get a good roadmap of any issues I might run into.
Hey...welcome to the boards. I'm not trying to be an ***, but your questions have been asked a hundred times on here and been answered a hundred times as well.

Please use the "search" function and I'm positive you will find what you are looking for. If not, give me a shout and I'll help if I can.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:12 PM
I have searched on the boards for alot of this, I have a thread marked for the radio removal, and I have seen people mounting there amps in different locations. I was wanting to get some input on the overall system design and Basically some pointers on anything that stands out on the supercab f150. I don't want to be an *** either, but I have read on the forums for about a month and I have done a ton of research, but I want some comments on my setup.

Thanks,
Mike
Cincinnati, oh.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
alot of people run through the actual fire wall, i think its easier to come through the fender and through the major wire exchange on the passenger side kick panel. then you can run down underneath the sill step panels and under the carpet to your amp.

Dynomat is expensive, you kinda pay for the name.

thats all the suggestions i have right now.
-Patrick

Old 12-18-2006, 03:30 PM
So you say to run the power wire through the fender, is there a grommet there to run the wiring through? Also as far as the dynamat goes, I live about 2mi away from the building where they make it so I get it for cost, and it is close.

I have seen alot of discussion for sealing the door panels for metter sound. I was wondering would it be reccomended to make a abs trim ring for the 6.5" speakers?

Old 12-18-2006, 03:46 PM
I have searched on the boards for alot of this, I have a thread marked for the radio removal, and I have seen people mounting there amps in different locations. I was wanting to get some input on the overall system design and Basically some pointers on anything that stands out on the supercab f150. I don't want to be an *** either, but I have read on the forums for about a month and I have done a ton of research, but I want some comments on my setup.

Thanks,
Mike
Cincinnati, oh.
Here's results for door panel removal...wealth of knowledge there.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...earchid=764650

Here's another for amp mounting:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...earchid=764654

Here's another amp power cable:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...earchid=764662

Here's what I did:
Mounted all my amps on the back wall. No issues.

You will need to make an adapter for the 6.5" components and may have to trim you door panel a bit for them to fit. Also, depending on the tweeter...you may have to trim for it to fit as well.

I ran my amp power cable through the firewall. There's a grommet behind the battery (somewhat) and down to the right (as you look from the front). It's right under the big wire harness that goes to the PCM. Just push the cable through and it should come out right behind the black blower motor behind the dash.

Other than that...I'm not aware of what comments you are looking for. Pretty basic questions that have been answered many of times.

If you need more specific help...hit me up.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
[QUOTE=bigemike]So you say to run the power wire through the fender, is there a grommet there to run the wiring through? QUOTE]

heres what the inside looks like on my 03. (carpet and panels removed) the other side of that giant seal, is another smaller grommet maybe 1" total diameter, there are several small seals on the (outside) panel to choose from.

-Patrick

Trending Topics

Old 12-18-2006, 05:22 PM
cool, thanks for the help. I will let you guys know how it turns out once I get everything finished. Any suggestions on mounting the sat radio antenna and the navigation antenna. I still want to take a look at the nav system to see what I am dealing with there. I heard something about running it through the rear 3rd brake light. Also does anyone have any comment on the mtx box, with 210watts rms being fed to it. It has been a long time since I have had or listened to anything mtx, but I liked the enclosure better than anyones. I have been running jl and kicker stuff with more power. I am looking for a nice tight bass that can reach down low, but still stay pretty tight. I have always been a fan of the JL audio subs. But like I said I figured I would run the mtx sub & see how I like it.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM
cool, thanks for the help. I will let you guys know how it turns out once I get everything finished. Any suggestions on mounting the sat radio antenna and the navigation antenna. I still want to take a look at the nav system to see what I am dealing with there. I heard something about running it through the rear 3rd brake light. Also does anyone have any comment on the mtx box, with 210watts rms being fed to it. It has been a long time since I have had or listened to anything mtx, but I liked the enclosure better than anyones. I have been running jl and kicker stuff with more power. I am looking for a nice tight bass that can reach down low, but still stay pretty tight. I have always been a fan of the JL audio subs. But like I said I figured I would run the mtx sub & see how I like it.
I don't know about Navigation stuff...C'mon, I'm a guy...we don't need no directions. lol

Anyway, the sat antenna..yeah, run it up throught the 3rd brake light and mount it ontop towards the back. Becareful though, the 3rd brake light is proned to leak (even w/o this mod).

I've never been a fan of MTX...even back in the day. That's just me. About the box, I would rather build my own...period...no questions asked on that.

As far as JL subs...I like the W6v2 and W7 lines. Oh, I like their slash series amps, they are built like a tank. But, JL is overpriced IMO.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sat antenna mounting...

Amps on back wall....

more pics on gallery.....

Old 12-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brypink2
I don't know about Navigation stuff...
C'mon, I'm a guy...we don't need no directions. lol
Anyway, the sat antenna..yeah, run it up throught the 3rd brake light and mount it ontop towards the back. Becareful though, the 3rd brake light is proned to leak (even w/o this mod).

I've never been a fan of MTX...even back in the day. That's just me. About the box, I would rather build my own...period...no questions asked on that.

As far as JL subs...I like the W6v2 and W7 lines. Oh, I like their slash series amps, they are built like a tank. But, JL is overpriced IMO.
This is ture and in my truck with Navigation, cause I still don't know how to work the dam thing....

Old 12-25-2006, 02:33 PM
finally done

I am done with the install. I did a full door treatment of dynamat extreme, (44sq ft) I mounted the amp behind the rear seat, and I very happy with the setup. The dynamat is a must on these trucks, I installed my front components off the factory radio power and listened to them with drivers door dynamatted and passenger door stock, the difference is unbelievable. The midbass is so good with the dynamat you can hardly tell that there isn't an 8" woofer somewhere.

The mtx thunderform 12" - Now I am a believer in this as well. It sounds clean and clear with a nice bottom end, nice flat response that is tight and deep. I am very impressed with it as well.

Kicker- (ks 6.5 componets and ks 6x8 coax)components and co-ax's The components in my front doors are a little bright on the tweets, and the crossovers seem to be so-so, They are average at best. I had them left over from my jeep install, and I have to admit the polk db's I had are better for the same price range. The kicker stuff is better in thier upper end stuff. Thier coax's sound pretty decent though for the money. The coax's did show up with the tweater boke off of one, but some super glue fixed that.

Kicker amp zx700.5 - Good solid power and very spolid for the price.

Knuconcepts power wire kit - It cost me $64 for a 4 gauge amp kit with 6 channels of rca's. It is decent for the money, but kickers amp kit is nicer, much better, but much more expensive. All in all it is better than a pyramid or off brand low grade kit, but is not as good as your high end jl or kicker wiring. For thier price and quality service I will use thier stuff again.

Pioneer avic-d1 nav unit with ipod and aux input modules - This setup is nice, and even though the unit doesn't have dvd playback, it gives me everything I wanted. It is touchscreen and looks great in the dash. It is a little complicated to setup, the aux adapeter wouldn't show up unitl you read the instructions to learn how to turn it on. But all in alla very nice setup and the navagation works well.

Thanks for all the help without the internet guides for removal of the rear seat it would of never came out.

Thanks again everyone. I didn't get a chance to take pics, but I can answer anyones questions about the setup.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Awwww man...no pics?

Sounds nice though bigemike

Quick Reply: New system with some questions