2 12" subs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 12" subs

Hey! i just bought two 12inch subs and a 700watt amp. My stereo in my truck is a pioneer deh-p6600 and it has subwoofer pre-outs...so i hooked an rca cable to those preouts, they lead to my amp which leads to my subwoofers. When i saw the subs at the store they gave one hell of a boom, but now that they're in my truck, they don't do much....and i was wondering if anyone had any advice for me, i see those people driving around and their bass is so powerful that i can even feel it several cars away, and thats what i want. THankyou for your help. feel free to email me at neattouch648@gmail.com
Thanks
~Gerrit

Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 AM
subs in a vehicle are gonna sound different than on the showroom floor. I hate to break it to ya like that but there are no easy tricks to get it loud at this point other than spending more money. I know I have personally been down this route. and probablly everyone else has too. either you can enjoy what you bought or you can retun the stuff and maybe look int subs that are more sensitive which will get a lil louder given the same amount of power. you could also double the power from 700 to 1400 watts which will net you about 3dbs. or you could double the cone area for a 3 db gain also. you could also do both and net about 6 dbs total. really tho it takes a lot of money and space to get as loud as you want. its gonna take lotsa power and a lot of cone area. theres no replacement for displacement. (you can also roll the windows down to make it louder too)

Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Yeah i guess, the only reason is i have a friend who has the identical speakers with an amp of less "wattage"' and his really puts out a great deal more bass than mine does, its really strange...

Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 AM
different amps have different ratings. his might clam to be lower wattage but it could actually be more. he could also have the gains cranked up to distorting levels. maybe his box is better suited for the subs. different vehicle. placement.. aiming. there are just too many variables. every vehicle is gonna sound different, no two installs are gonna sound the same. what might be loud in a car might now be loud in a truck and vice versa.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ducati648
Yeah i guess, the only reason is i have a friend who has the identical speakers with an amp of less "wattage"' and his really puts out a great deal more bass than mine does, its really strange...
What is your bass level on your radio set at ?

Old 12-06-2006, 07:04 PM
i have the bass set almost all the way up on the radio, but still nothing, we bought the box with the subs already installed, it was pre-made, so the boxes are the same, today i tried something i took his amplifier and hooked it up to my subwoofers and still not as strong as his, also his is in a 97 chevy 1500, so its pretty much the same truck, and box is in almost the same location, so i honestly can't figure anything out i'm at a loss hahaha

Old 12-06-2006, 08:21 PM
do you know how your subs are hooked up... maybe his are in series and yours are in parallel or something along those lines of a wiring issue... it might be worth it to take them out of the box and see how they are wired. Also it is kind of hard to tell without knowing what equipment you are using. Is that a class D amp? ... if its a 2-channel amp are you bridging it correclty? (this part shouldnt matter if you have class D). Also is that amp rated at 700rms? and at what impedence? Are those subs dvc and what impedence are the voice coils? The subs need to match up to the amp you are using to maximize output. For example if those subs are svc 4-ohm subs, when you hook them up to your amp it will be at 2-ohms. And if your amp is rated 700@1ohm ... it may only be rated like 350@2ohms... which wont get very loud at all being only 150 to each sub (assuming class D).

Quick Reply: 2 12" subs