Installing a Powered Sub

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a Powered Sub

Hey all!
I'm pretty new to customizing, and have a very limited budget, so I was looking into powered subs to beef up the audio on my '97 F150 ext cab. I did some research, and came across Audiobahn's ATB10AT. Does anyone have any input on installing one of these? On crutchfield's website, they say you can splice right into the speaker wire. Where would I get to the speaker wires?

thanks for all help!
jake

Old 10-27-2006, 07:35 AM
There's lots of different places that you can get to the speaker wires, but for something like this it would probably be easiest to just go at them directly behind the head unit in the dash and splice into them there. Then run a new wire to the location of the powered sub. You're going to have to tap into the remote turn on wire back there anyway so you might as well tap into the speaker wire in the same place. That's how I would do it anyway.....

Old 10-27-2006, 05:08 PM
thanks for your help!

I found a wiring diagram for my truck here. Is the 'amp turn on' wire the equivalent to a remote on wire? Also what's the easiest way to run the wire from my head unit to the sub in the back seat?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by afty88
Is the 'amp turn on' wire the equivalent to a remote on wire?
Yes

Originally Posted by afty88
Also what's the easiest way to run the wire from my head unit to the sub in the back seat?
There's plenty of room to just run a new wire down the driver side of your truck. Just run it from behind the stereo up under the carpet up front and then down the side of the truck. The panels on the bottom of the doors pop right out and you can put the wire under there. It's really pretty easy if you just start playing with how things come apart and how they go back together.

Quick Reply: Installing a Powered Sub