opinions please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinions please!!!!

i'm debating whether to get a 1 din center channel speaker and put it where the ash tray slot is below the a/c.

i don't know much about this stuff.

if i get a subwoofer amp for the sub and a 4 channel amp for my 4 front and back speakers, that means i won't have anything for the center channel right?

does the center channel need an amp? with the iva-w200 can that give it enough power or would it not sound right?

i think it would look clean to have that speaker in that bottom din. what does everybody else think? is it pointless to have a center channel speaker in a car (especially with a 6.5" screen) or does it add a nice touch?

sorry for all the questions

i appreciate all responses!!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:13 PM
i'd only do that if you seriously watch ALOT of 5.1 movies or listen to 5.1 CD's. most likely you don't and probably only listen to stereo CD's which means you should just buy a nice front stage, sub, amps and be done. if you do listen to 5.1 then go for it. otherwise its going to be a serious waste of time money and effort.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:30 PM
not really 5.1 cd's, but all movies are 5.1 DD format so anytime i would watch a movie I would utilize it...especially with the pxa-h701 which also does dts decoding.

my main question is whether the h/u will provide enough power with no amp, or is there a way to utilize a 4 channel amp on 5 speakers?

Old 10-17-2006, 04:52 PM
now ask yourself this question:

how often do I watch whole movies in my truck?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Just set your center on phantom.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by toneloc2121
not really 5.1 cd's, but all movies are 5.1 DD format so anytime i would watch a movie I would utilize it...especially with the pxa-h701 which also does dts decoding.

my main question is whether the h/u will provide enough power with no amp, or is there a way to utilize a 4 channel amp on 5 speakers?
Yes it will, but not the same output as your amp (other channels). 4 channel amp and 5 speakers...No go.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:00 PM
I run a full 5.1 system in my install. Do you have the H701 processor? If not, then you have no way to get true Dolby Digital. The W200 by itself will not do it. It only has 4 channels of amp power and it does not decode Dolby Digital. Alpine does make 2 theater amps that are 5 channel with built in DD processing. You still need a sub amp but, they are a cheaper solution than the H701 and then buying amps. I run the 550 theater amp in my Honda Pilot.

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by dconder
I run a full 5.1 system in my install. Do you have the H701 processor? If not, then you have no way to get true Dolby Digital. The W200 by itself will not do it. It only has 4 channels of amp power and it does not decode Dolby Digital. Alpine does make 2 theater amps that are 5 channel with built in DD processing. You still need a sub amp but, they are a cheaper solution than the H701 and then buying amps. I run the 550 theater amp in my Honda Pilot.
I think he has the H701.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by brypink2
I think he has the H701.

Sorry, did not know that. Disregard everything I said

Get yourself 5 good channels of power and one really big channel for the sub.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:27 PM
brypink2 and deconder- you are the 2 people i wanted to hear from the most. i always am interested in your posts because you have the stuff i'm in the market for (no dissrespect to styxnpicks, i appreciate your input).

Here is my situation/hopeful plan (pardon the length):

First of all, I don't own anything yet. I'm just doing major research. As of now I'm leaning towards the 701 but i've also checked out the 550 (get back to that).

Second, I work at Best Buy, so I want to get the best quality possible as long as it is available at the store to use my discount.

What I'm looking at:

Head Unit: IVA-W200

Front/Rear speakers: Infinity 6x8 (REF6812CF)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140392384390

Subwoofer: Infinity 10" (REF1052W)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140392384272

*plan on gettting custom subwoofer box from supercrewsound.com

Center Channel ???: Alpine 1-din center channel (SBS-05DC)
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=SBS-05DC

Here is my major debate

PXA-H701 + Infinity 4-channel amp(REF7541A) + Alpine subwoofer amp(MRP-M450)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140392384101
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134701297803

--or--

MRA-D550 + Alpine subwoofer amp (same as above)

I now know the head unit won't power the center channel (if i decide to get one) but i am still confused as to if I can maybe bridge the amp(s) to work even if I sacrifice a little power. ultimately I do want the best quality. if bridging the amps (preferred) isn't a good enough option, i wouldn't be opposed to getting another small amp if I need to since I get that for half price (it still might be cheaper than a 550 off ebay)

other stuff:

sir-alp1

video ipod

bluetooth (whenever they come out with the newer model that is compatible with sirius tuner)

backup camera (maybe)- probably an unneccessary bell/whistle

most important- Blackbird navigation (now that it has the sweet navtraffic)

Last question (sorry)- I probably need to call alpine myself but just in case, have you guys heard of any compatability issues with the blackbird and 701? I ask because I went to a local dealer/installer asking about the nve-n872a navigation that I previously wanted for the navtraffic (now that the blackbird has it i save about $1000). Anyway, the dealer told me the nve-n872a is not compatable with the 701. I want to make sure that there are no issues with the blackbird that you or anybody know of (if there are then i guess my above decision just got easier).

Thanks alot. I appreciate all input, advice, and opinions.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by toneloc2121
brypink2 and deconder- you are the 2 people i wanted to hear from the most. i always am interested in your posts because you have the stuff i'm in the market for (no dissrespect to styxnpicks, i appreciate your input).

Here is my situation/hopeful plan (pardon the length):

First of all, I don't own anything yet. I'm just doing major research. As of now I'm leaning towards the 701 but i've also checked out the 550 (get back to that).

Second, I work at Best Buy, so I want to get the best quality possible as long as it is available at the store to use my discount.

What I'm looking at:

Head Unit: IVA-W200

Front/Rear speakers: Infinity 6x8 (REF6812CF)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140392384390

Subwoofer: Infinity 10" (REF1052W)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140392384272

*plan on gettting custom subwoofer box from supercrewsound.com

Center Channel ???: Alpine 1-din center channel (SBS-05DC)
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=SBS-05DC

Here is my major debate

PXA-H701 + Infinity 4-channel amp(REF7541A) + Alpine subwoofer amp(MRP-M450)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140392384101
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134701297803

--or--

MRA-D550 + Alpine subwoofer amp (same as above)

I now know the head unit won't power the center channel (if i decide to get one) but i am still confused as to if I can maybe bridge the amp(s) to work even if I sacrifice a little power. ultimately I do want the best quality. if bridging the amps (preferred) isn't a good enough option, i wouldn't be opposed to getting another small amp if I need to since I get that for half price (it still might be cheaper than a 550 off ebay)

other stuff:

sir-alp1

video ipod

bluetooth (whenever they come out with the newer model that is compatible with sirius tuner)

backup camera (maybe)- probably an unneccessary bell/whistle

most important- Blackbird navigation (now that it has the sweet navtraffic)

Last question (sorry)- I probably need to call alpine myself but just in case, have you guys heard of any compatability issues with the blackbird and 701? I ask because I went to a local dealer/installer asking about the nve-n872a navigation that I previously wanted for the navtraffic (now that the blackbird has it i save about $1000). Anyway, the dealer told me the nve-n872a is not compatable with the 701. I want to make sure that there are no issues with the blackbird that you or anybody know of (if there are then i guess my above decision just got easier).

Thanks alot. I appreciate all input, advice, and opinions.

CODE BLUE!

repreZent! i install at store 150 howdy neighbor

dont get that infinity sub it cant take power worth an ***. the R is pretty much the best thing we have. the R components and R12 are actually great products; id recommend the 5x7 components in front, 5x7 coaxials in back, and building yourself a box for that 12. get the alpine 4 channel and monoblocks we carry.

dont get the infinity amps either; they suck IMO because they have a morbid signal to noise ratio. you might as well deck it up in all alpine

Old 10-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Socal858
CODE BLUE!

repreZent! i install at store 150 howdy neighbor

Haha, I dont think Ive ever even been in a Best Buy store.

I like the numbers:
"Store 75, this is store 150, do you read me??"
"store 150, this is store 75, we read you!!"
"store 75, send more Type ARRGHHHHHZZZZZZZZ, quick!"

Heh

Old 10-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Haha, I dont think Ive ever even been in a Best Buy store.

I like the numbers:
"Store 75, this is store 150, do you read me??"
"store 150, this is store 75, we read you!!"
"store 75, send more Type ARRGHHHHHZZZZZZZZ, quick!"

Heh

LO f'ing L !!!

Old 10-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Socal 858 (and to all),

please send me links to the alpine stuff you are referring to.

as far as the sub goes, i wasn't aware that the infinity was weak, but I am under the impression that I really can't fit more than a 10" in a supercrew. I sure as hell can't make my own box and the boxes i was looking at on supercrewsound.com only went to 10. Unless you know something different (because I know nothing)

the front and rear infinitys were recommended by everyone in my store. i don't know if they saw the truck takes 6x8's so they chose a 6x8 speaker and didn't even think about 5x7's. I don't know.

Keep it coming I appreciate it.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Unless you go with a seat lift, you are not going to fit a 12" sub under the rear seat. I like the MRA-D550 idea quite a bit. It is a lot cheaper option than going with the PXA-H701 and then adding amps. I have the MRA-D550 and the MRD-M605 in our Honda Pilot. Complete 5.1 setup with only 2 amps. There is not a ton of power but, plenty for good sound.

I am not a big fan of Infinity either. To me, they are better suited for people just looking to replace their factory speaker and keep their factory head units. Its hard to recommend something from Best Buy as I never shop for car audio there. Mainly because I do not think they carry anything I consider a step above run of the mill. If that is your option, get the best they carry that you can afford and that you like the sound of. For subs that will fit under the seat: Arc Audio's Arc series, Image Dynamics IDQ, Adire Audio Koda Series, and Elemental Designs 11Kv2 will all fit.

Quick Reply: opinions please!!!!