New Sub...Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New Sub...Questions

I am actually seeking some help on which sub to buy. However, there are several underlying things to discuss.

First off, I drive an 02 Supercrew and currently have a 10" sub installed under the rear seat. Bought the box online, so I'm not sure if there is only one type of box or if you need more info.

Second is my listening preferences. I listen to all types of music and I'm looking to this sub to provide nice deep, clean bass. Not looking to rattle the neighbors windows and set off car alarms as I drive by.

Ok, now for my current set up. I have an Alpine CDA-9851 Head unit, an Alpine V-Power MRP-200 Amp, Polk MOMO 6.5" components in the front doors, JL Audio TR570-CXi Coaxials in the rear doors, and a 10" Orion Sub.

I have the Amp powering the sub and the Polk MOMO's. The head unit is powering the JL's. The amp's power rating is 40Wx4 RMS. I know this isn't a lot of power, but I had it installed by someone I trusted (not out to sell me the most expensive item or something I didn't need for my listening preferences) so I figured it was sufficient. I don't know any of the specs on the Orion sub. I bought it for like $5 from a friend about 5 years ago.

I think my system sounds great right now, I just have store credit at Custom Sounds because I need to return an item. Figured I could use a new sub. I have about $215 of credit, so give me your full input. If there is a sub that will work with this setup that would be great. I know I need one that doesn't require a whole lot of breathing room. If you think I really need more amp, let me know that as well. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Talking

Just a little help? ...... Please ....... Thanks!

Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM
EW_
From your post, I'd say a woofer to replace your $5 woofer would be first but power is your friend. If your woofer sounds fine, I would run the 40x4 amp 2 channel on the rear speakers and buy a 100W x 4 RMS or similar amp to run the front speakers and sub. More volume, more clarity.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:07 PM

EW: Thanks for the help. Do you think a 75 or 80W x 4 would be sufficient or do I need to go up to the 100W? The 75 & 80W is a bit more in my price range. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 AM
EW_
Originally Posted by russ10screw
EW: Thanks for the help. Do you think a 75 or 80W x 4 would be sufficient or do I need to go up to the 100W? The 75 & 80W is a bit more in my price range. Thanks again for your help.
75 or 80 W RMS/ channel will be fine as long as it is a decent brand of amp. Look for the RMS rating at 12 volts instead of 14.4 if possible. You want an amp that will increase it's output power when bridged. Some amps (JL Audio slash series, Alpine PDX, etc) do not increase their output at a lower impedance. JL Audio A6450 run 3 channel would be a great choice or A4300 would be ok, just less power.